New Reefer Tank/Sump Pluming questions

pshopcars107

Hey everyone, New to the site!

this is my first time having a Reef Ready tank with a sump, I just want to make sure I have this all figured out before I'm fully committed to the build.
pluming both overflows for a Herbie Style, then bringing my return up the back or side, wherever I see makes sense. any pointers or tips would be amazing!
Thanks in advanced.

Tank-Plumbing.jpg

Looks good except the check valve. Check valves will eventually fail open and if you are relying on it to prevent a flood because your sump will overfill when the power goes out, you are playing Russian roulette. Better to drill a small hole on your return nozzle just below the running water line so that it sucks in air and breaks the siphon when the return pump is turned off.

I have Sea Swirls on my returns, an option you might consider.
I see no protein skimmer mentioned, an auto top off placed in the return section.
The returns no more than 2 inches underwater.

Thanks a lot guys, I’m gonna go ahead and forget about the check valve. I’ll do the siphon method and also add a valve to the return line for maintenance and what not.

I didn’t focus on too much detail for stuff in the sump, just wanted to get my plumbing dialed in first. Skimmer is gonna be going in once I decide on one to buy.

Thanks a lot for the replies! Just waiting on the fittings before I can start.

Back