New Skimmer question

DownwardDawg

I just started up my new 125 and I have a skimmer question. I plugged in my new Seaside Aquatics CS2 and the amount of bubbles was crazy!!! Bubbles were pouring out of the water outlet and also around the pump suction area. I tried adjusting the "valve" and it didn't get better. It poured out the top of the skimmer cup if I closed the adjustment too much. I had to leave on business for a while so I just left it un-plugged.

Keep the skimmer running wide open for a few weeks. It needs to break in and settle down... If it is overflowing while breaking in, either lower the sump water level so it does not overflow or raise the skimmer up in the sump(whichever is easier).

Are you using any kind of "conditioner" in your water? Any type of additives, i.e. Red Slime remover, etc.?

If you run a new skimmer in a container of vinegar and water the skimmer will have a much shorter break in period. The vinegar removes any oils from the production process

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Are you using any kind of "conditioner" in your water? Any type of additives, i.e. Red Slime remover, etc.?

No. It's a brand new setup. All dry rock and dry sand. I haven't added anything other than saltwater, a dead shrimp, and a filter sponge from my established 30 gal tank. the skimmer is sitting in 10" of water which according to the instructions, is about right.
I didn't clean the skimmer with anything. I just stuck it in the sump and plugged it in. The amount of bubles was unbelievable! I ran it a few minutes but it never slowed down. Like I mentioned, I had to leave on business so I unplugged it and I'll plug it back in when I can be there for several days to monitor it.

I have a cs2 also and find that mine works best in about 8 inches of water with it set at 5 on the opening. I use reef crystals for salt. When I first got it, i also ran mine in a bucket with a vinegar mix for a few days and it still needed some more run time to stop it from overflowing. I had to run it at 8 inches wide open for about a week.

I have a cs2 also and find that mine works best in about 8 inches of water with it set at 5 on the opening. I use reef crystals for salt. When I first got it, i also ran mine in a bucket with a vinegar mix for a few days and it still needed some more run time to stop it from overflowing. I had to run it at 8 inches wide open for about a week.

Thanks. I'll try this out.

Back