New stand, uneven top. Ideas?

reefocean

Hi, I purchased a solid wood cabinet from wayfair with the intention of using it as a stand for a new nano I am setting up. I ran the straight edge along the top and lengthwise is good, but width wise there is a 2mm gab in the center. I knew that this would be a possibility.

My question is what is the best way to address this. I have no problem "ruining" the finish since I am going to strip is of the whitewash and re-stain it anyhow. I also plan on using polystyrene in the top where the tank is.

I was thinking of leveling the top with wood filler and then placing a piece of 3/4 plywood down while the filler is still wet-ish. Then a piece of 1/2 polystyrene on top. I don't plan on attaching the plywood as I think it is probably better if it is floating and not flexing with the cabinet top as humidity does it's thing - or should I attach it to avoid the plywood flexing?

What do you peeps think?

Hi, I purchased a solid wood cabinet from wayfair with the intention of using it as a stand for a new nano I am setting up. I ran the straight edge along the top and lengthwise is good, but width wise there is a 2mm gab in the center. I knew that this would be a possibility.

My question is what is the best way to address this. I have no problem "ruining" the finish since I am going to strip is of the whitewash and re-stain it anyhow. I also plan on using polystyrene in the top where the tank is.

I was thinking of leveling the top with wood filler and then placing a piece of 3/4 plywood down while the filler is still wet-ish. Then a piece of 1/2 polystyrene on top. I don't plan on attaching the plywood as I think it is probably better if it is floating and not flexing with the cabinet top as humidity does it's thing - or should I attach it to avoid the plywood flexing?

PS The cabinet is made from acacia and it is supposedly dense, water resistant wood that doesn't typically warp much

What do you peeps think?

If your tank is a glass tank with a plastic frame no problem. A properly made glass tank is strong enough not to flex that much. If it was a high point and made contact with glass it could stress and break.

It will be a rimless without a frame on the bottom. The bottom pane will not be supported on anything except itself. I am super paranoid. I have had ...issues...in the past with another tank

How about bracing it up from the underside of the top. Your approach seems much more of a band-aid than fixing the problem.

Back