New Stand

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10478123#post10478123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TitusvileSurfer
So how do you put these plywood only stands together with no screws or glue? I'm assuming tiny nails? The plywood at the local hardware store is also horribly bowed, several inches in many pieces. This is alright if you are just nailing it to a support beam, but if it IS the support beam...I don't know I just don't see it working. I guess I'm off to scout better wood. Any recommendations?
It is possible to build a 100% plywood stand, no screws, tiny nails, or glue. Using a good grade of 3/4" exterior plywood -- I like MDO plywood core coated both sides -- cut two identical rectangles, one dimension the intended height of the stand minus 1/2", the other dimension the diagonal measured across the bottom of the tank. From the center line of each piece, cut a 3/4" to 1" notch to the top of the piece. To assemble the stand, invert one piece on top of the other and push them together so they form an X. Spread the X so that it matches the tank bottom. You may have to symetrically bevel the edges of each notch depending on how much you have to spread the X. The closer your tank is to a square on the bottom, the less you need to widen the notch. (You can calculate the exact bevel if you want to and cut the notches that way for a really snug fit.) Now cut a rectangle to the dimensions of the tank bottom. Route two quarter inch deep three quarter wide grooves from opposing corners of this piece. It will clip on top of the X. If you don't do routes, you can use your tiny nails. :D

This is a solid stable tank stand that can be easily disassembled and transported or stored flat. Unless you appreciate minimalist decor, you can skirt the stand with fabric.

If you don't need the stand to be transported flat at any future time, you can screw and glue it together if you wish. You can even add plywood triangles for storage shelves -- fish food etc.

Last edited:
Hmm, very interesting. Obviously I am not going to start building my stand this weekend as anticipated (isn't that how construction projects are supposed to go anyway? ;) I need to do some more homework.

Wow, you have all the bells and whistles! How much money would you estimate you saved by building the actual tank yourself? I love that actuator hood, and your cave rock isn't half bad either! :D

Thanks! I saved quite a bit building it myself. Glass Cages wanted close to $500 for the same size but minus the overflow chamber. I built it myself with overflow chamber and bulkheads for right around $250.

Back