New tank 125 (note: this may progress slowly)

ha ha... nope I haven't been home. UP in Dunsmuir (again) Thursday-Friday. Called at 10:30pm to report to Alameda for the Dubai Star spill in SF bay spent 12-18hrs a day there this past weekend. Monday had Jury duty. Tuesday and today had to go out to site job walks. I'm playing parent to drop off and pick up Tatiana since Halli's job is slammed with annual carbon reduction update reports or something like that as well as the CSU Chico's sustainability Conference starting tomorrow! I have barely even fed my tank.

dude...

Posted Oct 22, 2009 on Chicoreefclub.org

Ok so I switched back to the 2" neck on the skimmer but for some reason all my corals from the swap and purchased are dying. Sad. More details if things get better or if I give up :(

Posted November 22, 2009 on www.chicoreefclub.org

Well as of today I'm wondering if SPS are in my world. I've got some that made it but so many frags that have simply become algae magnets. I sense my CaRx is putting out more alk than Ca so that could be one of the reasons things are not doing so well

Posted Jan 22, 2010 on www.chicoreefclub.org

Ok so I did a water change on Monday and I've been busy. So much so that I haven't even added any carbon yet. But look at the yellow color of the tank 'out' water.

IMG_0077Medium.jpg

Posted Jan 23, 2010 on www.chicoreefclub.org

I really need to finalize a stand designand get the new one built to hold my large sump. I hope to post some design criteria and sketches here for critque and the wonderful constuctive criticism and love you all will provide. ;)

Posted Jan 25, 2010 on www.chicoreefclub.org

Did water testing today and found:
Ca: 440 - Right on!
pH: around 8.0 or 8.4 ACII says 7.98
Mg: 1350
Alk: Out of sight HIGH! Could this have been from the ca rx?
PO4: around 0-0.25 either way I've got algae issues
NO3 between 10-25 and 20-40 depending on which test kit.

Either way another water change is in the works but it was amazing how some corals perked right up after that last water change.

Posted Jan 25, 2010 on www.chicoreefclub.org

Standwcanopysupports-1.jpg

Ok so I changed the vertical supports to support the cantilevered canopy (yes it will rest on the tank top but still I want most of the load carried by the frame) as well as provide a greater opening for access behind the tank. I'm considering using this upper area for shelves/storage and ballasts on one side and the electrical on the other.

I also brought back the top of the canopy so that it can hinge on that point and the lids/access can be opened. I'm considering the lights to be mounted on an adjustable height cable with the top mounted to a board on a sliding track. So the lights can be lifted for maintenance as well as be pushed back for large rocks or greater access.

Brainstorming history (this has been a working document)

Stand Criteria
Allow sump to be installed/removed once stand installed
Side doors for ease of removal (RS) and opening (LS)
Room to reach/access all components
Able to support manifold from roof
Have storage for supplies and shelves (supplements/food, frag/clean tools/ possibly test kits)
At least a 5-10 gal makeup tank in sump
Four doors with storage on doors
Two lights with one or two switches
Exhaust port for chiller
Lights for Coral Growth/Fuge with fans
E panel with GFCI and Disconnects from new 20A service
Ease in access/view ACII
Mount Sump and Chiller on assembled 2x4’s to keep things off the floor in case of flood
Seal bottom of stand to contain water in case of inevetable spills
Able to access back of stand via sides behind tank.

O.K. Chris,

I can tell you need someone to talk you down. If that's Sketchup it looks like fun. I'm pretty good at it too. If those are all 2X4's that thing is going to be a beast. I'd lighten it up with plywood.

I made this model last spring.

TankStandv4.jpg

It has the same closed in back concept. At the time I intended to make doors for access to the back but I didn't build it like that. The top would rest on the tank and the back side peices are merely pieces of plywood that can be lifted out for access.

Here is the model if you are interested.

http://chicowoodnut.home.comcast.net/~chicowoodnut/aquarium/images/TankStandv4.skp

That's version 4, I built version 9.

Let me know if you need shop time.

Last edited:
Thansk so much hillscp! I should really make a point to swing by and see how version 9 came out. also what sketchup software are you using. I did mine on an older version of Solidworks. Yes I agree I needed to reduce some of the 2x4's.

I just know if I come by to see your tank, I'll have to keep myself from drooling over your garage! I'd LOVE to have some shop time as soon as I decide on the final plan. However, that's what prevented me from eventually building the last stand. What really did it was how camlov2's tank cracked on him and was getting his renewed under warrantee. I had mine sitting so long I wanted to ensure it was 'ok' if it did break. Turns out they only warantee the tank if it fails on 'their' stand.

Dont' know if I'll be at the Feb Chico Reef Club Mtg - baby delivery situation prevails. PM me with your contact information or you can email me directly at boviac at yahoo dot com (spelled that way to prevent scammers from peeling it off).

Thanks for commenting here.

Tested water today after water change. pH has come up with the CaRx back online but I have dialed it down on flow and CO2 bubble count to help cut back on the low Ca and high Alk situation.

pH 8.2
Ca 440
Mg 1350
Alk still high but on the charts now at 12 dKH
NO3 20

Plan to do another change in two weeks (about the next CRC meeting) as well as change the carbon and maybe the GFO.

Also cleaned out the stand a bit. Too much cluttler of bottles etc with less than 10% content left.

So looking through the tank lengthwise now (i.e. through the 6' length) I can see the yellow water has cleared up quite a bit. The three acros I have remaining are doing better with nice polyp extension. I still need to get in to clean the pumps but that may have to wait until tomorrow.

Things I am really looking forward to on this new stand are:

I can put the larger sump in it. It has room for a refugieum and a large one at that!

I can better organizie my eletrical cable nest and clean it up with a small sump, ATO bucket, CaRx and chiller all under a 6' stand makes it very cramped. The new stand will have electrical all connected to one location on the right side back.

I plan to have more room in the back to put shelves and provide access for me as the sump will be right in front taking up about 75% of the stand front.

I can use the larger skimmer neck 4" and upgrade to a Sicce pump for increased air flow (i.e. more bubbles)

I should be able to place the Ca Rx in the sump and partially below the waterline. this may help silence the slight /whine coming from the pump.

It looks like you are thinking this through. I have a Sicce in my Reef Octo 200 X. I got the purple pinwheel for it from Reef Specialty. I don't know how they come when you buy the pump without a skimmer but the mod really pushes a lot more air through the skimmer.

It looks like you are thinking this through.

Ah alas, that thinking is what has postponed my actual beginning of the stand construction.

I have a Sicce in my Reef Octo 200 X. I got the purple pinwheel for it from Reef Specialty. I don't know how they come when you buy the pump without a skimmer but the mod really pushes a lot more air through the skimmer.

Hmm. I know my friend at MARS in Sac is who has done the research and provided me with the 4" neck and skimmer cup attachment for the MARS V1.0 skimmer and recommended the Sicce 250 pump with the needlewheel. I'm not sure if that's different stated included pinwheel or how that differs from the purple one to which you refer.

Either way, I have a straight up Mag 7 with a DIY eductor for air intake. And still either due to the way I have the discharge going into the sump ghetto style or what buy I usually have to have the throttle valve nearly shut to keep it from going crazy over skimming. But when I did replace the 2" neck with the 4" I could open up the air intake all the way but it wouldn't really push up to the top that much.

Also the DJ power strip is appealing but I'm using many X10 modules as well as some internal X10 sockets. And so many other things have DC transformers that need extra space that I think one of those would not be fully utilized in my setup.

I like to run lights (Main, Act, Moon), fans, heaters, chiller, skimmer recirc, fuge light, PH's, and more with X10 and my AquaController II.

The ACII, CaRx controller, ATO, and my fan(s) all have xfrms, The CaRx controlled soienoid and X10 system controller, an RF Trans/Reciever, and an Alarm, all of which also have larger than nominal plugs. So I have a 4' long 12 plug strip that I plan to mount vertically to give space. But since I have those socket style X10 applications where the top port is controlled and the bottom is always on, I think i won't need to use all of the 4' length. I'm still assigning the planned socket locations....

Wow! I Just went out to the X10 site. Looks like Inspector Gadget's dream come true.

I better stay away. I have too many "Projects" as it is.

Yes but much like when I was in the navy the best opinion I have of it was watching the recruting commercials. X10 isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially with all the noise makers out there like CF lights, TV's, Computers Stereos, and anything else practically the signals hardly get through. And some of their products last years where others only a short while.

Nonetheless, I've been using this technology for at least six years and it has slowly progressed into the rest of my house.

Back