New Tank Advice

C_man7

After having tons of problems with my 40 breeder, I moved everything I planned on keeping to a fluval 13.5 to hold while I set my new tank up.

Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon Black Drilled
Eshopps Nano Cube
Eshopps Eclipse S Overflow
Ocean Revive T247
Jebao DCS-2000
SC Aquariums SCA-301
Reefkeeper Lite
Ehiem Jager 75w
Jebao SW-2
Koralia Nano 425
Tunze Nano ATO
Trigger 5g ATO Container
Clip on fuge light

Live stock
Pair of Mocha clownfish
Royal Gramma
Yellow Watchman Goby
2 peppermint shrimp
serpant starfish
Various cuc

Coral
Mixed reef
Softies, Lps, SPS

I had alot of problems with my old tank and algae and I believe I was heavily overstocked and I also feel like my water I got from my LFS wasn't top quality.

I have a fuge with 3" sand bed, Live Rock and Rubble, and Cheato and I think some grape Caulp. I run my blue lights 11:30-9:30 and whites 12:30-8:30. I feed NLS pellets one day, rinsed frozen the next day, and skip the the third day. I plan to do 5g a week water changes, either all at once or 2.5 and 2.5 through the week. I've bought my own BRS 5 stage rodi system used so I need filters.

My questions are should I run a reactor such as a biopellet or GFO to keep nutrients down? Would this allow me to add one more fish or should I keep my current stock. I also plan on adding a candy cane pistol for my watchman, any other cool reef safe inverts. And what does everyone use for salts. Any other advice on keeping the tank successful will be appreciated.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1
Am I️ reading this correctly, it appears you have 4 small fish for 40 gallons? I️ would run GFO or Biopellets and a skimmer. Don't run the lights for too long. I Like 6-8 hours. Don't feed more than can be consumed by all fish in 5 minutes. Don't do excessive water changes. You are just introducing more nutrients to fuel your algae problem. And do everything slow! Don't rush any processes. I️ personally don't see an issue with a few more small fish. I would not recommend tangs in this size tank. I️ would get an appropriately sized cleanup crew as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can't tell you if you need GFO or biopellets. You need to get the tank running and monitor nutrients. The tank will tell you what it needs.

If you want to buy GFO and/or a reactor now, just to have it ready, that would probably be a good idea, but I wouldn't run either on a tank unless you know and understand the conditions in the tank and how your tool will alter them.

Am I️ reading this correctly, it appears you have 4 small fish for 40 gallons? I️ would run GFO or Biopellets and a skimmer. Don't run the lights for too long. I Like 6-8 hours. Don't feed more than can be consumed by all fish in 5 minutes. Don't do excessive water changes. You are just introducing more nutrients to fuel your algae problem. And do everything slow! Don't rush any processes. I️ personally don't see an issue with a few more small fish. I would not recommend tangs in this size tank. I️ would get an appropriately sized cleanup crew as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I have a 25 gallon lagoon with eshopps nano sump. With the four fish listed.

Back