New Tank Help (returning reefer)

Rovert

Premium Member
Howdy, folks.

After a long absence, I'm getting ready to jump back into the hobby, but lots of things have changed in the 15+ years since I was reefing. Right now, I could use some guidance on tank selection, because that's where it pretty much all starts.

I'm planning a 250(-ish) gallon mixed reef (eventually inverts like Tridacnids) and need input on whether I go with an All In One system, or if I'd do better to order up something 'custom' to suit my needs.

There are two contenders I have right now, one is 'Waterbox Aquarims' the other is Glass Cages, but I'm open to suggestions. One of the things that I want to stay away from are proprietary systems like RedSea because they are always more expensive and when something fails (as it always does) replacement parts can be hard to find in the long term.

Would appreciate your thoughts on what you'd recommend with these considerations in mind:
Silicone - black vs clear?
Eurobracing - good or bad?
Corner Bracing - worth it?
Rimless top - yes or no, and why?
Overflow options?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:
Everyone likes what they own.
I have a Waterbox and it is pretty good but it is a small All in one. Waterbox systems are allot like RedSea though being prepackaged systems. I also had a Red Sea Aquarium and would not buy again but it is a RedSea thing.
Have you looked at the Cade systems? People have them like them if you want a all in one system with everything included. Seem to be really well planed out too. I think with all the prebuilt systems parts will be a issue for price and availability.

Glass Cages had a very bad rap for a while but I hear they are much better now. I personally have not seen their systems lately.
I just purchased a aquarium from Custom Aquariums and I got to say it is the best built tank I have ever seen.

250 gallon is pretty large to jump back into again. Just remember prices have gone sky-high in the hobby with Hawaii shutting down on fish and the other shutdowns. That is if budget is a concern.

I hate rimless top aquariums. Water is always running down them. They look nice but fish seem to jump out more because nothing to stop them when they run up the sides so now you need a cover. I would cover any tank anyway but now you loose the look of rimless.

I prefer external ghost type overflows so there is more real estate in the tank.

Last edited:
Knowing this might not be the most popular option on a, predominantly American forum but I'd give Australian company Cade a look! They make stunning tanks and the quality and craftmanship cannot be debated with 100% waterproof/safe materials such as anodized aluminum and glass doors.

Systems only come in black, but I have been assured by Adam Dalton of Cade Aquariums that they are working on a white alternative as well.

In my book, this is the top of the line All-in-one system with quite a margin down to your Waterbox and Red Sea tanks..

But as mentioned by @shred5:
Everyone likes what they own.

Best of luck! I look forward to following your build! ;)

I had a 140 gallon Tenecor that was built well.

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Glass Cages had a very bad rap for a while but I hear they are much better now. I personally have not seen their systems lately.
I just purchased a aquarium from Custom Aquariums and I got to say it is the best built tank I have ever seen.

250 gallon is pretty large to jump back into again. Just remember prices have gone sky-high in the hobby with Hawaii shutting down on fish and the other shutdowns. That is if budget is a concern.

I hate rimless top aquariums. Water is always running down them. They look nice but fish seem to jump out more because nothing to stop them when they run up the sides so now you need a cover. I would cover any tank anyway but now you loose the look of rimless.
'Custom Aquariums' looks like a contender, the only concern I have is that they don't offer eurobracing, but might not be a problem for this design. As to the size, I'm pretty sure I can handle it. Since it takes a good 6 months for water parameters to settle in, I won't be pounding in livestock for a while yet, nor all at once.

Knowing this might not be the most popular option on a, predominantly American forum but I'd give Australian company Cade a look! T;)
Would be happy to give our cousins down under the business, but I fear that the shipping cost would be outrageous, even if the tank made it here in one piece, which is doubtful.

Want a running 250 gallon system?
I'm not optimistic about moving that size system from a location 170 miles away, but PM me and we can discuss.

I had a 140 gallon Tenecor that was built well.
Definitely not looking for acrylic, but thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

'Custom Aquariums' looks like a contender, the only concern I have is that they don't offer eurobracing, but might not be a problem for this design. As to the size, I'm pretty sure I can handle it. Since it takes a good 6 months for water parameters to settle in, I won't be pounding in livestock for a while yet, nor all at once.

Would be happy to give our cousins down under the business, but I fear that the shipping cost would be outrageous, even if the tank made it here in one piece, which is doubtful.

I'm not optimistic about moving that size system from a location 170 miles away, but PM me and we can discuss.

Definitely not looking for acrylic, but thanks!

Cade can be bought here in the U.S.A. from algae Barn and they are reputable. Aquariums Archives

@Rovert Cade Aquariums, like many other manufactures of premium aquariums have their tanks made and shipped in containers from their facility in China so I am sure they can ship to the US without breaking anything :p

Cade can be bought here in the U.S.A. from algae Barn and they are reputable. Aquariums Archives

@Rovert Cade Aquariums, like many other manufactures of premium aquariums have their tanks made and shipped in containers from their facility in China so I am sure they can ship to the US without breaking anything :p

Been looking seriously at these, but one thing that's of concern is the low water intake at the bottom. Are deep sand beds no longer a 'thing' in the hobby anymore?

Been looking seriously at these, but one thing that's of concern is the low water intake at the bottom. Are deep sand beds no longer a 'thing' in the hobby anymore?
some have them still, but bare bottom has garnered a lot of steam in the past few years.

Sandbeds are but deep sandbeds not so much. Remote DSB are gaining some traction for their benefits.

Well, folks, I ordered up the Cade 1800 S2 today. Thanks to all for your insights and assistance.

If you're willing, please chime in on my post where I ask about placing any sort of support underneath the stand...

Wondering if a small auxiliary sump with 6" of sand might achieve the intended benefits...

Yea it would be fine.
Another reason people went bare bottom was the popularity of sps and high flow environments. Became hard to not have the sand piled up somewhere. People have started using larger grains now so they do not blow around as much as the finer sands used in a DSB.

Back