New to MH lighting question

cprice

So i just picked up a set of (3) 150W MH lights, reflectors, and ballasts off of the classifieds on here. I bought them simply because it was a great price and I've never had any MH before. So now I have to figure out what to do with them on my new setup.

I am currently building a 250+ gal system that has a 150 DT, 75 Gallon Sump, and a 80 gallon frag tank (4'x2'x2'). (Build Thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2559937) I was wondering if I should use the existing LED setup on the DT and use these on the frag tank that will be in the garage. Im not sure where these lights will be most useful.

A general question about MH: How does the growth and color on MH with 14k Pheonix bulbs (or similar) compare to the equivalent light on LED or T5? I know this question is debated all the time, BUT im specifically looking for any first hand experience with both lights.

Thanks!

It will be all SPS and softies. If I put the them on the 150 I would definitely supplement with T5. I was thinking more along the lines of the 16" deep frag tank would be a good place to use them. Good for grow out?

It will be all SPS and softies. If I put the them on the 150 I would definitely supplement with T5. I was thinking more along the lines of the 16" deep frag tank would be a good place to use them. Good for grow out?

I'd say to do LPS or supplement with T5s

Is the display still 60x24x24? If so the 150's will work fine, but I would use 10k bulbs.

Is the display still 60x24x24? If so the 150's will work fine, but I would use 10k bulbs.
Yes it's 60x24x24. I have a hug LED array and a few spare T5s lying around. May try a bug hybrid light. Well see, ill have plenty of time to finalize it while the tank cycles.

Back