New to reefs, setting up a 75g, could use some advice

matai

I had saltwater tanks growing up, but it's been a long time. A friend is getting me back into it, he'll be moving away and giving me some stuff. I got this all setup yesterday:

- 75g Aqueon Tank
- Aquatop CF400uv Canister Filter
- Octo 100 Classic HOB Protein Skimmer
- Aqueon 200 Heater
~80lbs Aragonite Live Sand
~25lbs live rock (haven't "arranged" it yet)

I bought pre-mixed saltwater at a local shop and even got about 15 gallons or more water from their tank system. I also added some Dr. Tims One and Only.

My plan is to get a couple Ocellaris Wednesday to get things going. My friend is moving late July and will be handing off a Goby, some Shrimp, live rock, some anenomes and not sure what else so I'm trying to get it cycled and ready ASAP.

I ordered a Fluval Marine 3.0 59w but it isn't here yet and I'm second guessing that. I'm considering maybe some AI lights, any tips on that?

Also I ordered a Fluval Sea CP4 Circulation Pump, should one be enough?

Anything I'm missing, or any tips? Trying to read up as quickly as possible.

Thanks!

dKqQY8b.jpg

If you can swing it, I’d definitely reccomend upgrading to the AI’s, if not that maybe a couple SmatFarm 95W from Amazon or Noopsyche V3 (cheaper but still pretty decent quality lights). You’ll definitely need strong light for the anemones (consider asking if they know what PAR they are under). It’s also generally recommended that you have the tank established for about year before adding anemones but it is possible to do so before hand.

I also recommend a fish less cycle

As for pumps, the one should be enough until you figure out what coral you want to keep in the future.

If you want to boost the cycle, maybe look at adding some Fritz Turbo Start and a couple pieces of live rock from either an established tank or Tampa Bay Saltwater, KP Aquatics, or similar

Also, consider adding an auto top of for increased water stability

Wow, great stuff, never heard of fishless cycling before.

My tank is a boring Aqueon 75 gallon, 48" x 18".

Would it take two AI Prime 16 HDs?

If so that'd be about $550 for two lights and two brackets, is that the best bang for my buck?

The Fluval Marine 3.0 59w was $260 and I'm afraid I'll end up upgrading in a year or less.

I have no experience with the Primes but You’d be at max spread for the 16’s from looking, it appears the spread is 24x24 per light, so you may have some shading towards the end

I guess another option would be two Fluval Marine 3.0 59 watta, would there be any advantage to that over two AI Prime HD 16s?

Wow, great stuff, never heard of fishless cycling before.

My tank is a boring Aqueon 75 gallon, 48" x 18".

Would it take two AI Prime 16 HDs?

If so that'd be about $550 for two lights and two brackets, is that the best bang for my buck?

The Fluval Marine 3.0 59w was $260 and I'm afraid I'll end up upgrading in a year or less.
Welcome to the world of "Not So Fast, Nothing comes of it". Cycling the tank is BORING, for some. I think, its the best part of start-up. The cycle IS the upmost important. Allowing your tank to cycle properly, will determine the life of the tank. Tanks that starts off out of balance, continue to remain that way. The pros outweighs the cons. Mainly, the battle with new tank outbreaks are lessen. Allowing you to fine tune your tank and equipment without the lost or illness of livestock. The list goes on and on. So, grab a magnifying glass and watch the micro world come alive. Two other things, that might help you out. Bags of sand brought off of the store shelf, is not LIVE. You will need close to another 100# of LR. All of these things are beneficial to the success of your tank. I must agree with the Fishless Cycle. I enter this hobby, some 25+ yrs ago. When cycling with fish or dead shrimp was a practice. We have learned a few things since then. ADVICE, I cycle my new tanks for at least 5 to 6+ weeks without livestock. Read all you can about saltwater habitats. Happy reefing.

So I looked at the Prime a bit more and it appears to have similar if not lower par than the Fluval. So I think, as far as power goes, any would work but it does appear AI has the prime 16 listed as a “nano” light not a larger tank light so your results may vary.

Now mind you my posts are based on available data I can find, as I have no experience with either system.

I personally have a SmatFarm 95 watt LED set up on my wife’s 32 gallon and have no issue with it and get decent par values from it. It’s about 1/2 the cost of an AI prime and comes with mounting hardware.

Those SmatFarms look like a good deal, two of those should cover a 75g, right?
Yes two should work just fine. You can also set them up as master and slave so they sync with one another.

Edit to add: I found the remote and instructions to be pretty useless but the controls were pretty simple on the light itself.

Back