New to the game, looking for opinions

Spellfyre776

Greetings all!

New to the hobby, I recently picked up a 90 gallon tank. Atleast in the beginning, I will be setting it up as a FOWLR tank, and will be slowly picking up equipment. I was hoping for people more knowledgeable than I to look over list of things I am looking to acquire. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!

1) Eshopps HOB PF-800/1200 or a lifereef HOB
2) A 40 gallon breeder tank with fuji cube baffle kit
3) Bubble Magus Z-7 skimmer
4) Ozonizer
5) UV Sterilizer
6) Heater(s)
7) Hydrometer
8) RODI unit
9) Testing kit(s) - Hanna
10) Powerhead(s)
11) Live sand (approx 90lbs for 2" bed)
12) Thermometer
13) Return pump (gph?)
14) Dry rock 100-125lbs

I’m not sure if those are in any particular order but I kinda put them in a different order (what I’d get first)

1. RODI - This is a top priority in my opinion. Any honestly will do
  2. Heater - Many go with titanium heaters but I’m not brand specific. I have various brands. I’d strongly consider getting a controller such as a Ranco or Inkbird as a back up in case the heater goes on the fritz
  3. Thermometer - I’d at least get an in tank thermometer (digital or regular glass - not the stick on) but can look at the controllers to help regulate this for you
  4. Not in list - Auto Top Off - I have a Neptune ATO but I hear Tunze is a great quality too
  5. Sump - sounds good to me
  6. HOB Overflow - I have no idea on this
  7. Hydrometer - No issue there. Consider a refractometer if funds permit
  8. Return Pump - I run cheap Jebao return pumps but there are better quality returns out there but no clue on that or the return gph)
  9. Test Kits - Hanna is good for most (though I’ve heard issues with the Magnesium and some others (I’d have to look up which ones other tests are reccomended for))
  10. Live sand - I’d go as real as real can get and get some from @liverock at Tampa Bay Saltwater or Gulf Live Rock
  11. Dry Rock - If funding permits, I’d look into live rock as well (either from the above vendors or look at Australian Live Rock coming in from Pristine Marine Aquariums or Unique Corals. In my opinion can’t be the biodiversity of live (but like I said, as funding permits or consider a mix of live and dry)
  12. Skimmer - I know that’s a quality brand but I have no experience with it. I have a reef octopus
  13. Powerheads - I’ve had anything from Maxi Jets, Jebaos, Koralia, and Neptune Wav to cheap Amazon…again I have no issue with any…the cheaper they are, the less control you have usually. I actually like my Jebaos.
  14. UV sterilizer - no experience
  15. Ozonizer - No Experience

I'm in the "don't need a UV Sterilizer or Ozonizer" group. Been at this 28 years, and never had either of the above, and for me, both would equate to more work, and I tend to be lazy. :ROFLMAO:

The rest sounds reasonable.

Kevin

Greetings all!

New to the hobby, I recently picked up a 90 gallon tank. Atleast in the beginning, I will be setting it up as a FOWLR tank, and will be slowly picking up equipment. I was hoping for people more knowledgeable than I to look over list of things I am looking to acquire. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!

1) Eshopps HOB PF-800/1200 or a lifereef HOB
2) A 40 gallon breeder tank with fuji cube baffle kit
3) Bubble Magus Z-7 skimmer
4) Ozonizer
5) UV Sterilizer
6) Heater(s)
7) Hydrometer
8) RODI unit
9) Testing kit(s) - Hanna
10) Powerhead(s)
11) Live sand (approx 90lbs for 2" bed)
12) Thermometer
13) Return pump (gph?)
14) Dry rock 100-125lbs

Only have experience with the CPR overflow box with air pump for continuous siphon after a power outages. That little air pump was a lifesaver!

Consider a lid for jumpers.

I'd wait on the UV and Ozone to add later if you need it.

Save yourself future headaches and seed the FOWLR with real live rock from the ocean... diver harvested live sand will add a plethora of beneficial microorganisms too.

Congrats on starting to get your first tank setup! Looks like a pretty good starter list. IMO, I wouldn't worry about ozone or UV (At least until you have a specific need for it.) The Eshopps HOB overflows work well and their gear, in general, is good quality. The Hanna calcium checker isn't the most accurate but most of their other checker test kits I've used work well (Currently use the alkalinity and ULR marine phosphate.) If you have extra $$, the digital refractometers like Milwaukee or Hanna work very well for salinity testing compared to a hydrometer. The sump baffles kits work ok but IMO, glass baffles are a better option for a glass sump. Acrylic panels can flex cracking the glass depending on their fitment. Anyway, just my $.02. Good luck with everything!

Back