New to the site and hobby.

Mr.Exclusive

A little bit about myself my name is Damian and I live in Lakeland,Fl. I am 15 years old and as of yesterday i am hooked on these reef tanks. Well I don't know how I got here, but some how I did last night. Now I am so amazed. I've been reading and reading continuously for hours and I think I found a new hobby I would like to get into. I am very interested in the reef tanks,but don't know where to start. If I should start out small or if i should go big like a 90-125 gal. tank. I will keep on reading and learn as much as i can. I hope i have something started by the end of the summer maybe.

1588989513Reefnut_welcome.gif

To Reef Central

Hiya Damian,

In My opinion this is the coolest hobby on the planet :)

It's gr8 that your reading and researching before you jump in. That's the biggest mistake that new people make is that they buy a bunch of equipment and sometimes a bunch of livestock before they start asking questions. So your way ahead of the game, already, in my opinion.

The best thing you can do Is get some more reading under your belt. The cool thing is that if your slightly interested in the hobby then you will find this reading material very rewarding. There is lots of good information in the sticky threads on this site and I would Highly encourage you to get yourself a copy of "The conscientious marine Aquarist" by Bob Fenner and Read It !!

This is a great site for additional information and networking with people that have similar interest.
Check out this link:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/tips/index.php

Welcome to the site! I agree with what was mentioned above. Keep on reading until you know exactly what you want, and how to do it properly. It will save you many headaches later on!

Thanks, I will try and pick that book up at barnes and nobel if they have it if not I'll just buy one of amazon.

Thanks again

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12900624#post12900624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Playa-1

To Reef Central

Hiya Damian,

It's gr8 that your reading and researching before you jump in. That's the biggest mistake that new people make is that they buy a bunch of equipment and sometimes a bunch of livestock before they start asking questions. So your way ahead of the game, already, in my opinion.

The best thing you can do Is get some more reading under your belt. The cool thing is that if your slightly interested in the hobby then you will find this reading material very rewarding. There is lots of good information in the sticky threads on this site and I would Highly encourage you to get yourself a copy of "The conscientious marine Aquarist" by Bob Fenner and Read It !!

This is a great site for additional information and networking with people that have similar interest.
Check out this link:

Oh and +1 :thumbsup:

Do yourself a favor and forget you ever saw or heard of reef tanks. This hobby can consume you and your money before you know it. :lol:

Just kidding...I agree with Playa-1...best hobby ever. Good luck and keep everyone posted on your progress. Keep reading and always buy the best equipment you can afford...its well worth it.

Never be afraid to ask questions...even if they seem very trivial...we've all been there.

The more you read the more opinions you are going to get.. and not everything you read is right or wrong...some things just dont fit into the perfect right/wrong slots but fits into it may or may not work in your particular situation slot.. dont let it confuse you and you will have to use your own judgment in what will work for you and what is best for your particular tank and set up not every thing in this hobby is exactly black and white there is a lot of gray thrown into the mix.... Welcome..go slow..research..research..research and then research some more..remember this saying..only bad things happen fast in saltwater tanks...and besides the research advice is go slow and if you think its not going fast enough go even slower

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12900624#post12900624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Playa-1

To Reef Central

Hiya Damian,

Check out this link:

come on now playa, just how do you do that welcome banner, its fantastic never seen it before

Greetings from Tampa!

1-. Its a great hobby to have.

2. - Do not purchase anything other then books for the first six months. Read everything here on ReefCentral. Its an amazing source of information.

3. - In this six months Look at the Orlando and Tampa Bay Reef Clubs. I would strongly
suggest you attend as many meetings as you can. Nothing in this hobby comes quick or easy. If you want it done right, and last a long time just read non-stop for the next six months.

4. - As far as tank size.
65 gallon 36" x 18" x 24" - extra width to aquascape your live rocks and have room for extras down on the sand bed.
90 gallon 48" x 18" x 24" Same as above but longer tank for fish to swim
120 gallon 48" x 24" x 24" Same as above but even more width if you want to do more rocks if you want to place coral in the tank. Also take note that with a 4' length tank it will stop you from getting some species of fish (ie Tangs)!

5. - Also get a RR (Reef Ready) tank pre-drilled so you can put a sump under your tank to hide all of the equipment you will be researching over the next six months.

6. - This is a hobby where buying something on the cheep may cost you a lot more in the long run. If you buy a $99.00 skimmer and then find out two months later it was a piece of crap you are now buying a $269.00 skimmer to replace it. Research every purchase here before you buy it. Learn from others and it will save you $$$ in the long run.

7. - Visit the following two places.

World Wide Coral - http://www.worldwidecorals.com/
11765 South Orange Blossom Trail
Orlando, FL 32837
(407) 856-2066

Fish and other Ichthy stuff (FAOIS) - http://www.ichthythings.com/
105 Fairfield St
Oldsmar, FL 34677
(813) 891-4291

I know both of them are a drive for you but once you visit those two you will be spoiled! The employees are knowledgeable and a great resource for new people.

8. - Research Protein Skimmers and Lights. That will eat up alot of time. Try and get the overall feel the products and try and avoid all of the back and forth that gets you no-where. I would say start with "Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment" and "New to the Hobby" for starters.

You have taken your first step into a long (and expensive) road but the payoff in the end is so worth it.

Joshua

Way to go babe! My suggestion, get a big enough QT tank before you begin!!! :) (see my thread and you'll know why) Keep up the reading, and have FUN! Listen to what these guys/gals have to say.....they know their stuff!

[welcome]

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12902702#post12902702 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michael
come on now playa, just how do you do that welcome banner, its fantastic never seen it before

:lol:
I'm not that creative dude.
I copy and paste.

Well i was just thinking I think I might go for a fowlr tank and than after I get into it more I'll do a reef tank. What do you guys think?

You can go that route. Get a pre-drilled tank (Reef Ready) and get a basic sump with your return pump and heater for now. Unless you want to try something smaller then what you first were talking about.

Last edited:
Back