New Toadstool, quick question

joebo1717

I just picked up a toadstool today, i needed something big and dominating for my tank, and i wanted to know about how long i should expect for it to stand upright and show it's polyps? I have seen it at the lfs for a few weeks now and it was doing great. Also i want to know if i should try and get it to attach to a small piece of rock and then place it on my larger rock work. If i were to do this should i just put a toothpick through the base and rubber band that to the rock?

Mine took a few hours to come out but seemed to enjoy showing itself once my daylights went out and it was just actinic. A very shy guy! But once he's left alone he'll be fine after a day or so.

I personally am enjoying learning how to use glue gel stuff. . but want to get epoxy for something slightly easier to use and permanent.. without it if you have any fish or other critters in the tank they will probably be prone to knocking anything over you set down just by balance. *shakes fist at her blenny and or shrimp and or crabs*

If your toadstool is large (and it sounds like it is), IMO you'll want it to attach to your rock work. It'll be a little top heavy when it's fully open, at least enough that a medium size crab or snail can push it over if it's not attached. If you're worried about it attaching too much to your rocks (it'll attach anywhere on the stalk that's touching rock), you can make a sleeve out of PVC pipe and slide it over the stalk, limiting the toadstool's attachment to the rock only at the base.

I'm not sure about the toothpick and rubberband method you're suggesting, so I can't say how well that would work.

When we bought ours, it took about 3 or 4 days to get adjusted to our tank enough that it had polyps out most of the time. It shed constantly for the first 6 weeks we had it, but rarely sheds anymore. It seems very happy now, as long as water conditions remain good and stable. I've even cut a couple of frags off of it with no ill effects. In fact, it's been a month since I fragged it and you can't even tell where I cut off the frags.

I had a toadstool that did nothing for months, the size of a half dollar at best.

Then one day BOOM! Now it's the biggest piece in the tank. It shows polyps most of the day.

I've tried the old toothpick deal. It didn't work out for me all of the time. I had more luck placing in a container with some rubble and having it attach that way.

So the new toadstool is still not standing up right and i don't know if i should be worried. From the sounds of it, it seems as if it may take quite a while to get up and going. I ran a full water test today and the only thing that came back with any result aside from 0.0 is my phosphates which showed trace amounts but i am assuming that is from my w/c yesterday. Do i just need to wait it out?

I've seen leathers stay like that for quite a while. Make sure you have it under a good amount of flow and you're adding iodine. As long as it isn't decaying or rotting then it should come around.

Ok so i wiill be sure to use iodine but the decaying and rotting thing. As of now the top looks a little blue. Is that a bad sign. It may just be the light it its reflecting from the actinics? Gosh this saltwater thing is a real test of my patients

It can take a week or more to start opening. make sure of good light and strong current. look 4 dead spots as a sign of worry. slime is normal

Back