weeping willow help

mixedtank

Hi. New here. I have a weeping willow leather toadstool. The base of the stalk has become very narrow and twisted. It's now half-way attached to a wood peg. The coral is bent over and no longer standing upright. Should I cut the base of the coral to give it a steady stalk to stand on? It was at the bottom of the tank, I moved it from the sand bed because the rocks where sticking to the coral and it looked like it was causing injury. I moved it up on a rock in the middle of the tank today.

If I should cut it and reattach, would you mind explaining the process to me. I've never done it before. Thank you so much for your time.
IMG_5203.JPG
IMG_5199.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5198.JPG
    IMG_5198.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 4
Can't say I've ever personally seen that in a leather. But, I've heard of it happening to others.

IMO, the coral is not happy with something. The first step here would be to determine why the coral is not happy. What are your water parameters and what test kits are you using?

Will need to know the following at a minimum:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Alkalinity
pH

I would also suggest moving/removing the coral. To do so, take a sharp razor blade and cut the stalk off just above the pinching. Put some sand and a small rock in a container on the bottom of your tank. Put the coral in the container, you could use a rubberband to loosely attach the base of the coral to the rock and let it reattached to the small rock. Once attached, you can move or superglue the small rock wherever you want in the tank.

It's wanting more light. It's trying to slowly migrate it's base up the aquascaping to get to higher light levels. FWIW, leathers/soft corals stick themselves to rocks, if a rock is causing damage what you'll see is dead tissue sloughing off.

Back