New wife and her setup

Only advice I could offer would be the aquascape, don't be afraid to be a little different. You can do islands and caves, you can make overhangs and all sorts of structures with that amount of space... Would make for a more dramatic view. Nice tank!

i dont think that pink tails are reef safe... and i think that the Uni will be fine you have a long tank with plenty of swimming room.

I read a lot of confusing info on triggers, but this pink was in a reef at my LFS and he was too beautiful.. I don't have any shrimps in the tank but I do have a few smaller corals, snails.. But they've all been pretty awesome..

Hey guys,

Thought id give an update on the tank, she's doing well.. had a bit of a scare with the tangs.. didn't know if they had white spot or something else but they're fine and had a few knowledgable people check it out and confirm nothing.. I've been monitoring them over last month with no additions and they looks great with their color completely back and tank healthy..

so going to start doing the changes I had been wanting to do!.. Aquascaping hopefully tomorrow during a water change and adding a few corals..

the pink tail is awesome, he hasn't touched or bothered anything.. if anything the unicorn has been bothering him.. haha..

Will post pics up, I've also been working on the cabinet holding the tank so it's been re'painted,, check it out let me know..

Also, thinking of changing the sump design, will be making a thread for it but if you check it out here please let me know what you think.. from current sump to new sump design..

8udynase.jpg
unyqunut.jpg

I also have a,...."wife tank" (29g)thread & build. Yours is looking great.
What skimmer is that ? Looks like a lot of great chamber foam.

I also have a UV light, but I don't know if I'll use it because I added some pods in the refugium, so I'm concerned about killing them. What's your thoughts ?
Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I'm not quite sure of the skimmers brand tbh because I was going to look into changing it maybe when changing the sump design, it's a bit loud .. Was actually going to ask those two questions.. Haha

Anyone recommend any large quiet skimmers? And what does everyone think about the UV light after the sump..

Tbh Kevin, I've read quite a few different thoughts on the subject.. There's an australian reeferpedia that has in its introduction to the hobby that UVs are unnecessary and in someway kill off good bacteria..

I've had it running for a few weeks straight as the owner had it to see what if any difference I can see to the tank or clarity..
The water is clear but I don't know if that's due to the uv or the charcoal bags I have in the sump..
Also, I guess any bacteria the uv would kill is microscopic so I can't really see.. Not too educated on their granular abilities to know if there's anything else I should be seeing..

Your thoughts?

Sump looks like a nitrate factory. I'd slowly remove the media and replace with a few pieces of live rock. UV only kills bacteria in the water column not the good bacteria that colonizes sand bed and live rock. If you use uv set the out put near intake of skimmer to help in export. Great setup and beautiful tank I would turn the sump into a refugium with that middle chamber dedicated to a refugium.

Hey Atrox, thanks for the advice :)

Ye, i'm ordering Marine pure blocks for the middle chamber to go with live rock.. I'll add the blocks to the tank as soon as i get them then ill slowly start taking out the current media..

believe it or not, that's how my friend has had it setup for over a year..

Check out the layout i've drawn and attached above.. tell me what you think..

I'll see if I can plumb the UV before the fuge and skimmer chambers..

Cshabz- it's a good size skimmer, cone shape and looks easy to clean.

There's Pro's and Con's of using a UV. I feel for a reef tank, we shouldn't use one, but for a fish only and quarantine,...yes.

Back