New York Aquarium

Paul B

Premium Member
I went to the New York Aquarium as their guest this morning well before it opened for the day. I spent 2 hours climbing over their filter systems and checking out their lighting. The supervisor, Mike showed me everything behind the scenes and I had a really good time. They are having some problems with some LEDs over their fresh water tanks and being I am a retired electrician I was going over some problems with them. They invited me back when ever I want to go to discuss some more things.

As far as I can tell the coral tanks look beautiful. I didn't go to the smaller tanks because we were mostly in the back but the larger coral tanks are in great shape.

All of their corals are cultivated from their stock and they do not take any from the sea any longer. They have a large frag tank. Natural sea water is used in their tanks from right outside the aquarium in Coney Island. I have always said that water is about as good as it can get. They have to add some salt to it because Coney Island is in the center of where two rivers enter the bay so the water is weak. They run the water through sand filters to remove sediment.

They also use UV and ozone in their tanks as well as calcium reactors.

The UV is only used in the fresh water tanks (I think)

They have some large skimmers and I discussed ways to make them much more efficient.

I did not see one majano or aiptasia, probably because the large coral tanks have a number of fish that would eat them, as I said I didn't see the smaller tanks.

One of their tomato clownfish is 15 years old and it looked like it was mating with a fireclown.

They get divers into the tanks a few times a week to clean the artificial corals and the inside of the glass. The largest "coral" tank there used to house beluga whales, now it is for coral reef fish, but with artificial corals and rocks. Very realistic looking without the maintenance and lighting of live corals.

So the visit was very nice and I didn't see any obvious problems, all the fish I saw were healthy with the exception of one 15 year olf clown who looked a little ratty but it was only cosmetic as he was spawning.

They were having an inspection of the mammals so I could not talk to them longer which is the reason I am going back to continue.

It is a worthwhile place to visit and have a nice day out with your family.

Awesome, I bet that was a blast. I have seen behind the scenes of the Newport Aquarium but I just saw the tip of the iceberg. I bet there was so much hidden cool stuff in there.

The two main people in the NY aquarium have been there over 15 years as I met them there many years ago for my last tour.
I donated quite a few fish to them over the years including a remora that I got as a baby and it grew to over a foot long in a couple of months.They are working on a new improved shark tank. They recently lost 2 large sharks. One was that large sand tiger shark that was in there forever. I remember it when I used to go as a young boy, but the nurse shark that just died was possably a record for longivity and may go into the book of world records as the longest lived shark in captivity.
The people working there are very dedicated and are very concerned with the health of the animals and conservation of sea life.

I will go back soon to possably do some work on their LEDs

No, it used to be called the Coney Island Aquarium and is right on the beach in Coney Island Brooklyn. I was born blocks from there.
Before WW2 it was located in the Battery in downtown NY

ya know i was there this past summer and saw nothing along the lines of corals,whales,clowfish, etc yet have heard there was. either im blind or these tanks where out of commission then..i did see penguins,jellyfish, and things like that though.

You may have had temporary blindness, or maybe the coral tanks were closed for maintenance or something. The filter system is new so maybe they had it shut down for that installation. I have been going there since I was born and I always see them. I even rented the place out 20 years ago for my Daughter's sweet 16 party. The coral tanks are inside, you must have stayed upstairs or something. I had my camera today but I felt funny taking pictures being I was their guest, and I didn't know if it was allowed. But they have about a 1,000 frag tank next to some equally large coral tanks and some of those corals are a few feet across.
Most of their tanks contain artificial corals but they have a nice coral section. One tank is specificly soft corals with clown fish and plenty of clownfish eggs and babies.

yea i definitly did not see any of this :fun5:

good to know though, looks my me and the girl got weekend plans now. thanks :thumbsup:

Back