Newbie 60g Build Thread with pics

Soolaimon

Ok so rather than build everything up front and then post a thread as to what I did I will post my build thread now so I can hopefully get some good advice and feedback moving forward. I've seen build threads posted in DIY and New to the Hobby. I decided on the latter since this is my first "œreal" build.

It's been over 8 years since we moved and sold our old 50g SW tank. My wife and I have brought up the subject of doing another SW tank quite often over the past few years. This Christmas we bought a 5 gallon FW setup for our 5 year old and this was what drove us to finally get back in the hobby.

One main issue we always had was where the tank would go. Two years ago we finished our basement and I wish I'd of planned for this then. The spot we decided on is good in that it won't get any direct sunlight and it's a nice viewing location, but it's bad because it must sit flush against the wall and I can't use the space in the room behind it. Therefore nothing can hang of the back and I'm limited to the under the stand space for the sump and other equipment.

Here is a pic of where it will go.

tank_location.jpg

Since this is sort of a hallway type area my wife really wanted me to go with a bow front or an aquarium with angled sides so the human traffic flow would be natural. We were thinking somewhere between 50-75 gallon as the size for our tank. After searching online I got a little sticker shock from the price of new acrylic tanks. I then decided to checkout craigslist and found one I thought would suit our needs. I bought a 60 gallon flat back hex aquarium with light for $180 that I thought would fit the space well.

60g_flatback_hex2.jpg

The tank is 48"w x 20h x 16d. The light is a 48" Coralife compact fluorescent. I purchased new bulbs for the hood 2x 65w 10k and 2x 65w actinic.

Now I needed a stand. I thought it would be easy finding a stand but after many hours of searching online I couldn't find anything new for less than $600. I broadened my range on craigslist and found this exact same tank (with clear back) that included the stand. So I drive 2.5 hours to buy this setup. I paid another $180 for the stand/canopy which also included another tank. I will use the original (pictured above) tank because it's less scratched and we spent 3 days with sand paper, drills and buffing equipment to remove the scratches. Also the 2nd tank was in worse shape to begin with.

The stand had an old wood smell and it wasn't the stain color we wanted. It was however well built with solid oak and ¾ oak plywood. It was originally stained a burgundy red and we thought we wanted it to match the rest of the woodwork in our basement. So we sand down the stand, apply wood conditioner and stained the stand with the same stain used elsewhere in our basement. When finished it looked nice but didn't quite match the other woodwork in the room. I thought we were doing things right by applying the wood conditioner but this made the stain look too orange (I later read on the conditioner that it wasn't recommended for hard woods). Areas where we didn't apply the conditioner looked perfect:debi:. I then decided to not match the woodwork and just stain it black. I wish I'd of taken pictures of the original stand and with the other stain but I started documenting this too late. Here is a pic of the stand after staining it black.

stand_interior_caulk.jpg

I also wanted to protect the interior of the stand from moisture since I will be putting a sump inside. I caulked the seams up to 3" high of the interior base. I then primed it with some leftover Killz and painted the interior with two coats of exterior gray paint that I had lying around.

stand_interior1.jpg

I know this won't hold water for long but I'm hoping that if I put a water sensor alarm in the base it might help.

While I had the paint out I figured why not paint the back. My wife gave me a little look here as she knows the back will be against the wall and nobody will see it.

stand_back2.jpg

The stand also came with a hood. It's only about 6" tall but I'm hoping to be able to work with it. The 48" light wouldn't quite fit in it so I notched out some wood on the interior of the hood to allow it to fit.

hood_notch.jpg

The lift up portion of the hood is not pictured since I haven't put it back together yet. I bought some new European hinges since the old ones were rusted out.

I still need to varnish the stand and hood. I don't want a high gloss look so I'm thinking of using a minwax satin for the seal coat. I may do one coat of high gloss first to up the protection and then a coat of satin to reduce the sheen. I haven't decided on that yet though.

Not to change the subject but I took some pics of the snow we've had this year. For those who like snow here's what it's like in West Michigan this year.

2014_snow1.jpg

Next up is the plumbing. Since the tank will be viewable from 3 sides and be flush against the wall I decided that I would do a full height center overflow. A fellow reef central member is making the overflow box for me. I plan on doing the Herbie overflow with two 1" drains and a ¾ return line. I'm very limited in space for a sump. I thought I could squeeze a 20g long through the front opening but it will not fit. On eBay I found a 19gallon sump that will fit. I wish I could've gone larger but without building one myself this was the largest I could find that would fit through the door. The sump is 24"w x 15"tall x 12" deep. Based on my sump selection and dimensions I bought Reef Octopus NW- 110 skimmer. I also bought a Rio 2100 for the return pump.

From reading this forum I know everyone recommends RO water. We have softened well water with around 400 TDS. Rather than hauling jugs of water to/from the store I decided to install an RO system. I went with a system that would have two outputs; one for aquarium water through Post RO DI and another for drinking water through a post RO carbon filter.

Here's a pic of the RO setup.

ro1.jpg

After the filters I'm getting around 12 TDS for drinking water and 0 TDS for aquarium water.

On our want list now is a couple of clownfish, and an anemone once the tank is mature. The rest of the animals we will decide as the tank progresses. We haven't decided on SPS or LPS corals. If we decide on SPS I think we will need better lighting or may supplement the compacts with LEDs. I plan on getting some live rock for seeding and using dry rock for the rest. Most of my thoughts right now are in the tank building stage but once the tank gets water in it and starts the cycle process we will research more about the fish and corals we would like to pursue.

That is all the work that's been done for now. My plans at this point are to varnish, drill the tank and install/plumb the overflow box. I will try to post updates as they are happening.

Feel free to respond with any advice, critiques or any other comments. Thanks for sharing in our experience.

My only suggestion with getting an anemone (and this is strictly personal preference)... add the anemone first before any other corals. That's what I've always done. That way you don't have to deal with moving other corals around when it's looking for it's home.

The light you chose should be ok for low light LPS, mushrooms etc..... you'll DEFINITELY need to get better lighting to do SPS in the future.

Where you're putting the tank I noticed there's a vent. Is that for heat/ac? If so be aware that may fluctuate the temp in your sump area.

Looks like you have a great start. Are you plumbing through that wall. When you say flush to the wall I was wondering. I was so happy to have room to get around the back of my new 80 gal to do plumbing and electrical. Just did the move last weekend no pics up yet.

My only suggestion with getting an anemone (and this is strictly personal preference)... add the anemone first before any other corals. That's what I've always done. That way you don't have to deal with moving other corals around when it's looking for it's home.

The light you chose should be ok for low light LPS, mushrooms etc..... you'll DEFINITELY need to get better lighting to do SPS in the future.

Where you're putting the tank I noticed there's a vent. Is that for heat/ac? If so be aware that may fluctuate the temp in your sump area.

Thanks for the tip. I'll consider that with then anemone and corals. The tank will be in front of that vent. That's a cold air return. I'm a little concerned that I'll be blocking it somewhat with the setup but there will be an inch of space between it and the tank so hopefully it's not an issue.

Looks like you have a great start. Are you plumbing through that wall. When you say flush to the wall I was wondering. I was so happy to have room to get around the back of my new 80 gal to do plumbing and electrical. Just did the move last weekend no pics up yet.

I'm not planning on putting anything through the wall. I wish I had an empty room behind it but we don't :sad1:

Update.

I finally have my overflow box installed.

installed_overflow.JPG

I posted a separate thread on this in the DIY forum on the process of building/installing this...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2367907

I've two coats of polyurethane on the stand -- not worth a pic as it looks the same :)

My sump arrived so I'm almost ready to do the plumbing -- I'm waiting on some flex pvc from marine depot.

I also bought a RKL with an additional power strip to control the lights & pumps. Since I don't have a ton of under the tank space I'm hoping this will help consolidate the electrical rather than having a bunch of manual timers.

Once I'm done with the electrical and plumbing I'll post more pics and hopefully be ready for a full blown water test.

It's been a long time since I updated this post. I need a better way to transfer, resize and upload pics. I received a 19g sump that I bought from ebay. I found a clearance mat a Lowes for $3 that I cut to size to put the sump on...

hh.jpg

Next up was the plumbing. I took some pics along the way but I must have accidentally deleted them:sad1:

I thought originally I would move the sump as far left as I could but the plumbing would be easier if I just let the drains go straight down to the return area so that dictated my placement of the sump.

Earlier when I water tested the overflow box I did have a small problem with leaks on threaded connections. I originally just used Teflon tap. After doing some reading here it seems like most recommended using paste. I used paste on all threaded connections instead of Teflon tape and worked great.

You may notice I have a sock in there now. This was to clear up my sand storm (can't find that pic either :(). I plan on removing it in the permanent setup as it's a tight fit back there and would be a pain to regularly replace. If I decide I need a filter like this I'll probably put some mesh in the bubble trap column as it will be easier to maintain.

Here are pics of the final plumbing from underneath.

Left side
plumb_left.jpg

Right side
plump_right.jpg

In my original post I mentioned that I cut some notches in the canopy to fit the PC lighting fixture. After installing it I didn't like that the light was about 1/8" from the acrylic. I know these aren't as hot as MH lights but I wanted them higher. I made the notches deeper and now have about 1.5" clearance from the top of the tank. In addition to this change I also added a 36" 12k/445nm 18 watt stunner strip and the RKL moonlights to the hood.

New lights in hood...
retro_hood.jpg

Hood turned on...
hood_on.jpg

I've done more than this but have to cut it short for now. I'll post the remainder later tonight or tomorrow.

Continuing on...

I ordered 50 lbs of dry rock from BRS and started working on the aquascape. I found this to be a challenging process. I'd create something out of the tank and even with pictures i had a hard time trying to duplicate what was created out of the tank inside the tank.

My tank is long and narrow and with the overflow box in the middle i didn't have much depth to work with. After a few attempts this is what i came up with...

dry_rock.jpg

I was working on this while the tank was being filled with RO water. I later realized that my original plan to mix the salt in the tank wasn't going to work well since i had the rock in it. I could have (and probably should have) removed the rock and then mixed the salt in the tank. However i wasn't confident in my ability to reassemble the formation as i had it so i siphoned out buckets at a time and then poured the water back in after it was mixed.

My next step was to add my sand bed. I bought 60 pounds of Fiji Pink Arag Live Sand. I somehow thought that i could add this to a tank full of water with no problem. I figured i'd just fill a drinking glass and lower it to the bottom one cup at a time. After the 2nd cup i couldn't see a thing as the water clouded up. By feel i worked my way around the tank and got all the sand in. I read that i might take a day or two for the cloudiness to subside. I put a filter sock on the drain lines to help the process. 8 hours later the tank was still a little cloudy but i could see all the rock formations at least :)

The next morning i wake up and am pleasantly surprised by the clarity of the tank. So i then decide to turn on my circulation pumps (tunze 6025 on the left and 6045 on the right). Turning those on made for sand storm number 2. 8 hours later that is mostly cleared up. I then take a turkey baster and blow off the dry rock of sand that has settled on it. That makes for sand storm number 3. I can say the filter sock has a big influence on clearing up the tank quicker. I tried letting the 3rd sand storm clear on it's own. It did clear up a little on its own but putting on the filter sock made it clear up a lot faster. If i had to do it again i'd of added the water after the rock and sand.

After the sand storms had ceased i headed to the LFS to pickup some live rock. I only added 5 lbs of live rock. Is this enough for seefing? Here is a picture of the aquascape right now with the dry rock and the live rock...

live_rock.jpg

Here's a picture with the lights on...

tank_image.jpg

I think the tank would cycle with just the 5 lbs of live rock and arag live sand but i thought it wouldn't hurt to add a little pure ammonia to kick start the process. I added enough to measure .5 ppm.

That pretty much brings this thread up to date. Does anyone have a guess as to how long this will take to cycle? Any comments or critiques on other areas. I don't have any critters yet so change is still an ez option :)

Very nice clean start. That's a lot of rock but I am more minimalist. I have to get a pic of my new 80gal up. Keep checking your ammonia cycle should be safe for inverts in a couple weeks. Do your research on snails or you will waste lots of money on them. Nassurius are great for sand. For glass buy the ones that can right themselves when they fall.

While I had the paint out I figured why not paint the back. My wife gave me a little look here as she knows the back will be against the wall and nobody will see it.

First off, thank you for sharing. And to all other who do. It helps us new kids with ideas on how to do things. Hopefully I will get going on my larger tank in a couple years.
As far as the quoted line, that's a male OCD that some women might not understand. I would have done the exact same thing!:beer:

Very nice clean start. That's a lot of rock but I am more minimalist. I have to get a pic of my new 80gal up. Keep checking your ammonia cycle should be safe for inverts in a couple weeks. Do your research on snails or you will waste lots of money on them. Nassurius are great for sand. For glass buy the ones that can right themselves when they fall.

I agree that it looks like a lot of rock. I'd prefer a little less too but was going by the standard 1lb per gallon. Basically I have 55 pounds in there. I've tweaked it some since the picture but

I think I may push everything back about one inch and concede that I won't be able to clean the back of the tank. A little nervous about doing this as I may topple the whole thing. I also may take out the 2nd large rock from the right and have a 'big island' and 'tiny island'.

I actually added my first critters yesterday. 4 astraea, 1 turbo, and one emerald crab. I think all those snails are prone to not recover from tipping over. Thanks for the tip, for future snails I'll look to get the ones that can right themselves.

First off, thank you for sharing. And to all other who do. It helps us new kids with ideas on how to do things. Hopefully I will get going on my larger tank in a couple years.
As far as the quoted line, that's a male OCD that some women might not understand. I would have done the exact same thing!:beer:

Thanks for your reply. I think women have it too it's just that the thing's men OCD about and the things women OCD about don't have much overlap. :crazy1:

Looks your off to a great start. Great pics and updates! Keep up the good work.

Thanks twilmot!

Update

After the tank was cycled I noticed some brown and green hair algae. It was mostly on the live rock but I noticed a little starting to grow on the dry rock as well. Here's a picture of a live rock with the algae.
algae.jpg

I started with a small CUC. 4 Astraea snails, 1 turbo snail and an emerald crab. Here's a pic of them in a bucket while being drip acclimated.
1st_additions.jpg

I wasn't totally happy with my aquascape. All the rocks seemed so large and I thought it lacked some openness for swimming space and depth.

I decided to commit to tweaking it a bit before I added more critters. For the most part I was satisfied with the left 2/3's of the tank but the right side I wanted to change.

I started off by pulling out the two large rocks on the right. The crab was hiding so I made very sure that he wasn't in one of the rocks I took out. I then pushed everything else back an inch or two. Now there's a lot more room between the viewing pane and the rocks. There's still a little bit of room between the rocks and the back of the tank.

I had some live rock in my new QT tank that I took out and added that to the area where I removed the two large rocks on the right.

Here's a picture of what it looks like after rearranging.
new_aquascape.jpg

Here's a close up of the right side.
aquascape2.jpg

Thanks pscott99 for your opinion on the too full look.

I am much happier with the overall look after making this change. There is now a much more noticeable depth dimension to tank. In addition the stacked structure is a lot more stable.

As of now I have two Ocellaris Clownfish in my QT tank.

I also added four Trochus snails. My wife witnessed one recover after flipping on its back. I'm happy that I won't need to watch these like the Astraea's. A few of the Astraea's I had to flip a couple times a day but they seem to be doing better about staying upright as of late.

I also added four small coral frags. I'll put that in the next post since I'm probably close to my pic limit on this one.

Had a pic of the QT tank that I meant to put in the last post. It's nothing special. A cheap 10g tank with a HOB filter and a 50w heater.

I put two LR in it to start the cycle. I also rubbed the filter in a dirty filter sock from my main tank to help the cycle. Later I moved the LR to the main tank when I changed up the aquascape.

qt.jpg

I have two clowns in there now. Wife and kids are begging for them to go in the big tank so now I get a true test on patience :)

We did add four frags to the DT.

Candy cane or trumpet coral
coral_candycane.jpg

Brain coral? (correct me if I'm wrong)
coral_brain.jpg

Montipora coral. I may not have the lighting to make this grow but the piece was $5 so I thought it would be a good test. I have it in a high flow high light area.
coral_montipora.jpg

Lastly a green star polyp softie
coral_gsp.jpg

Full tank view
tank_fullpic.jpg

I'm currently working on an auto top off system. I made a custom container that fits nicely in the cabinet. I don't have it operational yet but I'll post an update here when that's working.

I'm also trying to figure out a better way to mix bigger batches of water for water changing. Right now I'm doing 5g buckets but I only fill it to about 4g and that's only about a 5% change. I bought a larger container and am currently setting it up as a mixing tank and I should be able to do 15gallon changes or ~20% with that.

That's it for now. I'll post more updates as things progress.

Very much like that scape change. Much cleaner and more room. Looking great.

Thanks! I never quite liked what i had before and your comment was the
"straw the broke the camel's back". I'm grateful you mentioned it before I had too much stuff to make the change.

How are your tests going. Have you put the clowns in yet ? Nice corals to start with. If they are happy and your CUC is happy you are good to go.

Newbie 60g Build Thread with pics

Nice tank. The one you called a brain coral looks like a frag of Acan to me. If you feed them (I feed mine mysis and brine shrimp when feeding the fish every other day) they'll grow much faster. But it's not needed and they're very forgiving. Should expand when it's nice and happy!

Back