Newbie-grow tank info?

tuna charlie

Hello,every one.My main tank -135gallon-30gallon sump-30gallon refugium,all empty for now.Shooting for may start up date.!! In the mean time I would like to start up a grow tank for macroalgaes,like chaetomorpha,red gracilaria,sea lettuce,and may be some others.How does this sound,One inch or two of some reef mud,then 4'' of sand for the bed.I thought since there will be no fish in it ,the mudd would help feed the plants for a while ,then I could start adding supplements later.Is there any one plant food I could buy to make the feeding easy?The tank for all of this is a 30 gallon.The macroalgaes I want to grow will be used to keep my other tanks replenished from time to time. Thanks every one, really appreciate your feed back. TUNA

For a dedicated macro grow out tank, you don't really need any substrate. But if you do go with substrate I would stick to mud or very fine sand. As the macro's will require major nutrients to grow, I'd suggest one of the formulations used to grow micro algaes in culture such as Guillards f/2 medium. This is available from Aquatic Ecosystems or Florida Aqua Farms. Otherwise you need to do a homemade mix of fertilizer and trace elements.

Thanks ,billsreef-----how would I put the mud in?Say an inch or two of mud,then3''of sand .Or put the mud closer to the top of the sand? Thanks -tunia

I'd just go with one or the other. Can't really think of reason to cap off the mud with some sand, it'll just settle and mix anyway ;)

Back