Newbie needing some advice

reeferjames1

Been out of reefing for almost 20 years and I was a terrible reefer back then. I am setting up a 40g breeder with 20g sump. Probably starting with softies and beginner corals for now. Purchased a 24in 4-bulb T5ho fixture. How high would you recommend mounting this to get decent coverage over the 36 inch width?

You'd be fine at 3 or 4 inches as most T5 fixtures with legs sit at about that height. That being said, that's probably going to roast some softies, so I'd likely start around 6 to 8". Anything over a foot and you'll likely have spillage outside the tank or at minimum be wasting PAR. Hope that helps. Welcome back to the hobby. :thumbsup:

I have found the best coral to start with is Xenia. It adds motion to the tank and it is very easy to keep alive.... Only issue is that if your tank is healthy, it will grow and grow and grow until it takes over your tank.
I know this was off topic but I hope it helped at least a little. :)

thanks Guys that was very helpful. I am sure I will be leaning on you a lot more as i progress.

one more question, last night I started looking into some cheap LED i.e. black box. the would be cheaper and easier for me to set up. I know the forum is filled with all kinds of info on them but would you go with them or just stick with T5?

I am running the mars black box on my current tank and they work great honestly. I do SPS and LPS and have great coloring and growth thus far.

Back