220G Tank Setup - Flow/General Advice Needed

Good Afternoon Folks,

I've been "reefing" for just over a decade now, with intentions on finally getting serious and re-committing to the hobby.

For a couple of years I had a very well established 75 gallon reef tank, and I lost everything... if it wasn't for my (now) wife I would have given up entirely. She picked up the flopping fish from the ground as I hopelessly tried to recover water as it poured out of our tank... flooding our apartment, In that moment I swore I was done. Since then I rebuilt, had a couple separate system failures/crashes, multiple moves, bought and sold a house, and other general financial/life issues.

I'm finally at the point where I can get back into it, and in a "big" way. I could use some advice!!!

Here's my "new" 220 gallon tank - rebuilt by yours truly. Since the pictures were taken I've added another 40lbs of live rock. Here's a list of my "current features"....
-220 Gallon 6' DT
-Custom made stand
-60 Gallon Breeder Sump
-10 Gallon ATO tank (cracked my 20g tall while drilling it)
-Life Reef Skimmer, powered by a Sicce 9.0 @2500 Max GPH
-Dual Durso Overflows
-Custom return "up and over the back" setup with 4 jets, powered by a Sicce 7.0 at roughly 12-1500 GPH with head loss.
-2 Kessil AP9X's over the DT (haven't installed the 2nd one yet)
-Kessil H-80 for Spinning Cheato section (I've been trying to re-achieve this for years!!)

Here's where I could use help...
-Flow: I figure I need to produce around 10,000 GPH of additional flow in order to even think of maintaining a well established reef again. Upon quick research I was considering using two Tunze 6085's (one at each end of the tank), and a Gyre 4K Flow pump mounted center rear of the tank. This would keep things looking clean, and hopefully functional. Thoughts/Opinions!?

I'm open to further suggestions/advice...
as you can probably tell I like to keep things pretty simple. I've never used automatic dosing, filter reels, reactors, etc. I've typically just dosed (what are hopefully) quality products based upon my tanks needs, and scheduled it into a manner that's easy to keep up with it.

Thank you all, glad to be back!

20240302_152125.jpg

Welcome back! I use Jebao pumps for flow save for one Neptune Wav that came with my tank. I haven’t done much research on the Tunze but I know they’ve got a good reputation

Welcome back! I use Jebao pumps for flow save for one Neptune Wav that came with my tank. I haven’t done much research on the Tunze but I know they’ve got a good reputation
Thanks for the feedback!

Maybe I'm just overthinking the situation... I'm not sure if I'm better off doing a couple wavemakers, or a wavemaker and a couple of powerheads..

I really don't want to buy anything super expensive, but I don't want anything so cheap its going to break right away either. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I cant believe how much prices spiked over the last few years.

I noticed Sicce also makes powerheads at a very reasonable price at over 2000 gph.

Sicce is pretty decent brand.

Tunze still is as well. I’m personally not a fan of gyres but that’s just me. Not to many true “powerheads” any more. Most are pretty much wavemakers unless I’m completely overlooking a segment of that equipment.

Another thought…have you thought about doing a closed loop? Might get you closer to what you want?

Tunze and Sicce are good reliable brands with good warranties. Keeping it simple is the way to go. Don't fall into all the hype for the latest gadgets with all the bells and whistles.

Sicce is pretty decent brand.

Tunze still is as well. I’m personally not a fan of gyres but that’s just me. Not to many true “powerheads” any more. Most are pretty much wavemakers unless I’m completely overlooking a segment of that equipment.

Another thought…have you thought about doing a closed loop? Might get you closer to what you want?

I have heard of that. I didn't think it would really be an option for me given the way I have my return pump plumbed... doesnt that typically require drilling the tank as well? TIA

I’ve had great luck with Tunze, Sicce and Jebao.

Powerheads, Pumps, or both? 🙂

Tunze and Sicce are good reliable brands with good warranties. Keeping it simple is the way to go. Don't fall into all the hype for the latest gadgets with all the bells and whistles.

Believe me I'm with you on this. I get that people love technology, but I really don't care to have a controller for every gadget in the tank. That being said, I think 4 powerheads stuck to the sides of my tank would look kinda stupid.. maybe not. Lol

Check out the Tunze Turbelle Eco powerheads. They sip electricity and get good reviews.

Sorry, powerheads. The propeller based powerheads of today really put out a high volume (gph) of gentle flow.

So far I've had good luck with both my Sicce Pumps. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on two of their 2120GPH XStream Powerheads. They run at 14W and cost $110 a piece. The Tunze 6085 is similarly rated, but runs at nearly double the price.

I'm thinking I can aim the two towards each other from opposite ends of the tank. BRS has a video displaying their power and it's quite impressive considering their footprint.

All together this should put me at a flow rate of roughly 25x over... should I shoot higher, or is this a good starting point?

I would start with that. I don't have that much flow and my Acros just fine.

I have a 225 SPS tank. It’s been up about 3 years and doing good.

I use 3 x 6105 and that seems just about right.

If you are growing SPS you will want a calcium reactor. Doseing needs to be done quite regularly and will become tiresome and expensive. Which reactor you get doesn’t matter much but the Co2 regulator makes all the difference in the world. I like the carbon doaser by aquatic plants. Also, get the best needle valve you can find or better yet, get a peristaltic feed pump.

I have a 225 SPS tank. It’s been up about 3 years and doing good.

I use 3 x 6105 and that seems just about right.

If you are growing SPS you will want a calcium reactor. Doseing needs to be done quite regularly and will become tiresome and expensive. Which reactor you get doesn’t matter much but the Co2 regulator makes all the difference in the world. I like the carbon doaser by aquatic plants. Also, get the best needle valve you can find or better yet, get a peristaltic feed pump.
That's quite a bit of flow if you're running those things at full tilt ~ 3,400 GPH a piece. I ended up ordering two 2120 Sicce powerheads yesterday, and should have them today! I'm going to start by aiming the two at each other from opposite sides of the tank and see what that does.

Thinking about dead-space... I'm going to try aiming a couple of my return pump "heads" down behind the rockwork and see if that does any good at stirring things up.... without creating a sandstorm lol. It's possible I may benefit from another powerhead or two at the back center of the tank, though I doubt they would need to be all that powerful.

I'd be interested to hear more from yourself and others on the Calcium Reactor...Is it really necessary!? Is it still common practice to dose a "part 1, part 2" reef supplement?

I run All For Reef. Many still run 2 part (or more). Others run a calcium reactor. I’m looking at switching to a calcium reactor but I’ve had success with All For Reef.

I run All For Reef. Many still run 2 part (or more). Others run a calcium reactor. I’m looking at switching to a calcium reactor but I’ve had success with All For Reef.
So is the main idea behind a calcium reactor to alleviate the need for a 2 or 3 part additive? Or are there still certain elements a reactor will not address, PH?

I'm currently using BRS Alk, Ca and Mg as well as dripping Kalkwasser. If I ever get around to my upgrade ( :ROFLMAO: ) I have a Ca Reactor I'm going to use.

I've used Ca Reactors in the past on my 200 and 450 and they do really help.

So is the main idea behind a calcium reactor to alleviate the need for a 2 or 3 part additive? Or are there still certain elements a reactor will not address, PH?
The nature of the reactor, is to introduce CO2 into a chamber with tank water and aragonite (essentially old coral skeletons) rock. The CO2 lowers the pH and allows the aragonite to dissolve releasing calcium, strontium, and other nutrients. You have to watch the output of the reactor or you could lower the pH in your system. To alleviate/eliminate this, many hobbyists utilize a second chamber of aragonite rock (without introducing CO2) to help.

When I ran Ca Reactors, I didn't have a need for other nutrients. BUT, that was back when we were going for ultra low nutrient systems ("ULNS"). We've since learned that those ULNSs are not necessarily the optimal.

I'm currently using BRS Alk, Ca and Mg as well as dripping Kalkwasser. If I ever get around to my upgrade ( :ROFLMAO: ) I have a Ca Reactor I'm going to use.

I've used Ca Reactors in the past on my 200 and 450 and they do really help.

The nature of the reactor, is to introduce CO2 into a chamber with tank water and aragonite (essentially old coral skeletons) rock. The CO2 lowers the pH and allows the aragonite to dissolve releasing calcium, strontium, and other nutrients. You have to watch the output of the reactor or you could lower the pH in your system. To alleviate/eliminate this, many hobbyists utilize a second chamber of aragonite rock (without introducing CO2) to help.

When I ran Ca Reactors, I didn't have a need for other nutrients. BUT, that was back when we were going for ultra low nutrient systems ("ULNS"). We've since learned that those ULNSs are not necessarily the optimal.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain :) I'm looking further into this on BRS. Reefing is such an interesting hobby... the idea of having to explain why you might have a box of baking soda, and a bottle of vodka/vinegar and a CO2 bottle together with your reefing supplies is hilarious 🤣 I'm really cooking something here!

If you don't mind sharing, what sort of upgrades do you have in store? A 450 is a HUGE tank....

I appreciate you taking the time to explain :) I'm looking further into this on BRS. Reefing is such an interesting hobby... the idea of having to explain why you might have a box of baking soda, and a bottle of vodka/vinegar and a CO2 bottle together with your reefing supplies is hilarious 🤣 I'm really cooking something here!

If you don't mind sharing, what sort of upgrades do you have in store? A 450 is a HUGE tank...
I don't mind explaining or sharing, that's what this forum is for.

I don't currently have the 450, I sold it a long time ago when my three kids were in sports and I was helping to coach their teams. I just didn't have time to manage that size tank and be involved with coaching two soccer teams, a football team, a softball team and an inline hockey team. Sheesh was I really that busy back then? :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I currently have a 40 Breeder. I recently bought a used 120 gallon (empty) system.

Regarding having to explain things, when I bought this 120 system, it came with a RODI/water mixing station that included 2 20-gallon Rubbermaid Brute trashcans on a 2x4 stand with an RODI unit mounted to the stand. We got some interesting looks driving down the road with that in the back of the pickup;)

I've also known hobbyists who have had evening visits from the police because their neighbors saw "funny" lights coming from their house and thought there was a grow operation.

Back