Newbie. Question about lighting

smcdonn

Alright guys. So far everyone here on RC has been great. I hope to have my 75 gallon up and running soon. My question is, I just bought 2 250W MH electronic ballasts and some reflectors. Is this going to be too much light for soft corals? What color range should I be looking for if I want to keep soft corals? Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers

I like 10k lights but 65k-20k will do fine aswell depends on what look you like.

2 250w is not needed for soft corals and could cause bleaching if placed to close to the top, I suggest you carefully pick your spots for your soft coral (close to the bottom). I wouldnt say its to much light you are just going to have to be careful were you put them.

Yeah 250w MH is alot for softies in a 18" deep tank especially if you have a sand bed, but it increases your flexability with what you can keep if you decide to go sps or add some clams your all set. I have various softies doing extremely well under 250 halides in my 90 at various hieghts on the rock its more a matter of careful acclimation.

Would running less intense lighting such as 14K or 20K's be better. The reason I went with the dual 250's was so I would have enough for anything I wanted to do. Such as a clam or sps and so on. I never thought that you could have TOO much light. Lessons learned. I will probably just build a 12" canopy to keep them up a little higher. Thanks for the help guys

The only thing I have which avoids the intense light are mushrooms, rather than spreading out across the rocks the grow along the overhangs where there's a little shadow. I have had GSP, pulsing xenia, sinularia sp., and a couple sarcophytons which love the intense light.

14 or 20k's would help eliminate the need for supplemental actinics as well.

Back