newest cutest addition, possible id

supernareg

captive raised, eating mysis (i asked owner to feed while i watched) ..

i asked what type he said "hippocampus" lol which wasnt much help..

but i also got a cleaner shrimp, a block of frozen mysis, 6 asternia snails, 4 hermits, and 1 female seahorse. i was going to get 2, but all he had were females. so i decided to get 1 and see how it does in teh 12 gal aquapod. also, can someone tell me how to enrich the mysis shrimp?? i rinsed with RO water and target fed through straw... i got teh shrimp and 4 hermits for a good clean up crew, i was thinkin add another 2 more hermits.

P1261725.jpg

P1261724.jpg

P1261723.jpg

P1261722.jpg

Yup, definately Hipocampus. That lfs guy is really on the ball. :rolleyes:

Seahorse identification is difficult, so I will leave it to some of the more experienced members to chime in.

4 hermits is plenty for your size tank.

12 gallons is a very small tank for anything but dwarf seahorses. With so little water, you may end up with serious water quality problems. Personally I would double the size of the tank.

Fred

Keep a close eye on the cleaner shrimp. Some of them do not get along well with SH and can pester them into not eating. She looks nice and rounded though.. erm, if its a she! :) Hard to tell but almost looks like a pouch on that fish.

>Sarah

thansk guys.... i cant go anything larger due to space problems. so i'ma just get 1 more or maybe 3 more (total of 4) and thats it.

One more seahorse would be lots in a 12 let alone 3 more...don't even go there. Unless you plan on upgrading tanks when these horses grow, don't be adding so many. I don't know why everyone understands you can't put a tang in a nano but still insist on keeping seahorses in them. I also wouldn't add the pipes. They too like some space. Look on liveaquaria and read their tank specs..I think the minimum recommendations are a 30 gallon.

I have a 12 gallon cube that I am outgrowing two juvi's in...they are about 2-3 inches long now and will be moved shortly to the main tank. They are already using all the space in the 12. I would never consider keeping them in the 12 permanently.

Carolyn

I agree with h. reidi, I also agree it may be a young male, and I thirdly agree that a 12 gal tank isn't big enough for this 1 fish, let alone adding another seahorse and 2 pipes.

Even if we are wrong in the ID, and it is kuda, the horse will reach a mature size of anywhere from 6" - 9". A 12 gal tank is FAR TOO SMALL.

I suggest you take it back to where you got it, and trade it for fish which are going to have a longer life expectancy in your nano. There are many clowns, gobies, and small type fish which will do very well. You are just asking for problems keeping a horse this size in a tank that size.

I vote Kuda, I got for, but then what do I know, I only had them 6 weeks. Still, they look just like my Kuda.

Nice horse, good luck, Kevin

Back