Nitrate and Nitrite Reduction

Martyg6

Whats the best way to reduce Nitrate and Nitrite other than a protein skimmer? Thank you for all your input.

Water changes is the best way period IMO. I don't like to do them, but I cannot argue with the effectiveness.

mold025.jpg
Skimmers help.

Water changes the absolute best for dilution, macroalgae the best for finishing the job off when there's just a small amount left. IMO.

Having said that, I haven't had detectable nitrates in my new tank yet -- and I attribute that to the combination of big skimmer and macroalgae.

Cheato is the best. Look in the selling forum. THe going price is usually 10-20 for a sandwich bag full shipped.
This would go in the sump/fuge, and if you don't have one, then check into a hang on back fuge w/ a light on it (aquafuge).

Stewie

With a maxijet 1200 (295 gph) and a venturi on it, i'm not so sure that it would be real quiet. Don't get me wrong, i've heard ALOT louder skimmers. Basically this unit incorporates a cpr bakpak skimmer with a fuge on it. You can't go wrong with fuges and a skimmer like that. (not saying it would be the best, but its probably midgrade or higher).
Add some sand, rock rubble, cheato, do some water changes, and you'd be off and running.
The larger of the two aquafuge PS models adds about 4.5 gallons of water as well. (would help to keep tank more stable). I'd get the bigger of the two if you have the funds and the dimensions will fit your tank.
Let me know if you go that route, and how it works out for ya.
Stewie

thanks i'm looking into a quiet skimmer. my bakpak w. rio is to loud for my bedroom. figured if it would be in the refugium it would be quiet

Back