Nitrite problem!

Swans right, from what i've read and heard, it depends on who you talk to. I would prefer a 0 reading personally and if your bacteria are established and doing thier job, nitrite shouldn't be a concern anyway. This may be a good idea for an independent research project for my bio class, not to hijack this thread, tho. ;)

I don't think there's any evidence that nitrite will harm fish in the levels we see in our tanks. I ran a measureable level of nitrite in one tank for years with no issues to fish or soft corals. The chemistry forum has more details. If anyone has a pointer to research on the topic, I'd be interested in seeing it.

A deep sand bed is not necessarily, or even likely, to reduce nitrate levels in the presence of bio-wheels and the like. DSB nutrient uptake is more through detritus and solids or particulates. I think www.ronshimek.com has more on this subject.

The bio-wheels seem to cause higher nitrate levels. This article talks about that issue and ways to reduce nitrate levels:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

Personally, I would make plans to remove the bio-wheel and other filter media, but that will take some careful thought. You might need more live rock, and I think the tank is overstocked. I would eliminate at least two fish, most likely get rid of the tang and damsels.

ok, so I found the article on nitrites, but I'd still be cautious with it... as it says, most of our fish have not been tested, although it appears that saltwater fish are fine with the levels of nitrite in our tanks...

ok, but still, its nitrate you were reading ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6910724#post6910724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MCary
Swan, you THINK nitrite is toxic to saltwater fish. Do some research and you will KNOW that it isn't. Then you can AVOID passing on wrong information.
dosnt matter if nitrite is toxic or not . its somthing that shouldent be there and by it being there its telling us somthing is wrong

Trites, trates,and tangs aside.
The best thing it right now is to add ALOT more LR.
Your sand bed isnt deep enough for thorough DSB filtration so the majority of your filtration is being done by your LR.
So you need at least 50% more LR to support your bioload
My setup is very simiular. but ive got only 3-4 fish + cleaning crew (id say4 but my diamond goby has been awol for a week :( )

Heres a pic just for an idea of the ammount of LR
Less desireable options are to reduce fish or add Livesand
9.jpg

Ive even been debating removing the filter and just run the skimmer

Oh and definately stop using tap water. untill you decide to get a RO DI unit use the walmart drinking water that has RO on the label for 64 cents a gallon. In fact just for a head start Id do a semi large water change to get out some of that tap water.

Last edited:
Ok I just got home, spent the afternoon at the LFS.

Yes I know we need to add more liverock. Until this past weekend it was all spread out in the tank, and we moved it up into the corners. We're looking at adding another 25-30lbs in the next few months as money allows.

I also found out that the test strips are freaking junk. When I first bought them, the LFS liquid tests and my strips were pretty acurate to one another.
Well the liquid test today showed my Nitrates are .5 and my Nitrites are .2 So I guess I worried over nothing but screwed up test strips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hadn't tested it via liquid drops in over month.
Arrrg!

Thank you everybody for you help tho!

Back