Nitrites still up a bit - what to do?

bfuqua

We have had the second half of our package for about a month and our nitrites are still around .25. The ammonia rose to about 1 the first week and then went back to 0. What should we do now?

Re: Nitrites still up a bit - what to do?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9821333#post9821333 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bfuqua
We have had the second half of our package for about a month and our nitrites are still around .25. The ammonia rose to about 1 the first week and then went back to 0. What should we do now?

There will always be some nitrates .25 is acceptable....

OK

OK

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9827435#post9827435 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bfuqua
Nitrates are 0 but I have Nitrites of .25... still ok?

Ah so...

nitrites...not enough coffee, thought you meant nitrates.....you got me....best to ask other Package owners...see what they are reading...and check your test kit....I suspect there are chemical fluctuations all the time in a tank....feeding....denitrification..ammonia....ect..

Richard TBS

'trites should be zero and you should see a rise in 'trates, gradually dropping to zero(ish) as the tank becomes more established.

If you are seeing nitrItes but have a nitrAte reading of zero, it looks like your tank has not cycled or your test kits are no good. Verify the readings against another set of test kits.

Yeah if you have nitrites, then your tank is not equalized. Good things come to those who wait. Eventually your bacteria population will come into perfect balance with your bioload.

Well not true really. I was at Zero on all three ammonia Nitite and Nitrate. Got my second part of package. And tested today and was at 1.0 ammonia 1.0 Nitrite and 10 Nitrates. You are going to spike because your second part of rock is also going to do its thing. Just have to maintain the water changes again.

It is over... from now. Our nitrates finally hit 0 as well as ammonia and the nitrates. We did have a bacteria bloom a couple of days ago but it cleared up overnight and all of the numbers are back to 0 and the rock and critters look healthy.

Back