Nitrogen Cycle Query

zaitmi

I have started by 10 gallon saltwater tank, i am dosing ammonia 25% bottle from last 7 days, i dont have nitrite test kit, but i have nitrate test kit.

My question is that

1. When the ammonia will go down?
2. How long should i dose ammonia?
3. Test result showing : 1 pmm Ammonia (Yesterday)

I am dosing daily Seachem Stability 5ml.
I have Seachem Safe Powder.

Tank : 10 Gallon Curved Glass Kessil (Sticker) Tank.
Light : Kessil A80 LED.
Salt : Red Sea Coral Pro
Water Movement : 2 Power heads
Net on Top.
Sand Substrate 1 inch.

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-07 at 2.34.26 PM.jpeg

Very nice tank! I would stop all additives and dosing, and simply wait while the tank naturally cycles. I'd buy a complete set of tests, including nitrite, and let nature take its course. I think it's the best way to get to know your tank's unique properties without the crutches of additives. Best of luck.

Very nice tank! I would stop all additives and dosing, and simply wait while the tank naturally cycles. I'd buy a complete set of tests, including nitrite, and let nature take its course. I think it's the best way to get to know your tank's unique properties without the crutches of additives. Best of luck.
Ok thanks, its day 9 and Ammonia is 2 to 3ppm approx.

I would stop dosing ammonia and test daily, when ammonia reaches 0 and nitrate has increased your tank is cycled. Add creatures slowly and keep testing for ammonia. I would have a couple of gallons of premixed water on hand in case of an ammonia spike but if you go slowly you shouldn't need it. For that sized tank you should keep the bio load very light, what do you plan to stock?

Yes, nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Take your time, stop dosing ammonia...you're only adding more each time you dose. As @jjmg mentioned, get a full set of test kits, Salifert are reasonably priced and pretty accurate for hobby grade kits.

Did you use any of the bottled bacteria products on the market? Fritz, Microbacter, etc?

I would stop dosing ammonia and test daily, when ammonia reaches 0 and nitrate has increased your tank is cycled. Add creatures slowly and keep testing for ammonia. I would have a couple of gallons of premixed water on hand in case of an ammonia spike but if you go slowly you shouldn't need it. For that sized tank you should keep the bio load very light, what do you plan to stock?
2 chromis, 1 pink skunk clownfish and few hermit crabs.

Yes, nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Take your time, stop dosing ammonia...you're only adding more each time you dose. As @jjmg mentioned, get a full set of test kits, Salifert are reasonably priced and pretty accurate for hobby grade kits.

Did you use any of the bottled bacteria products on the market? Fritz, Microbacter, etc?
i am using Seachem Stability. but after 10 days of dosing 1/2 cap of bottle, it is finishing now. Hopefully bacteria will be established.

2 chromis, 1 pink skunk clownfish and few hermit crabs.
That's too many fish for a 10 gallon tank. While you may buy them small, they will mature if you can keep your tank stable and they will require a much larger tank. Minimum tank size for clownfish is 30 gallons.

Back