no filtered water for tank?

Indermark

I am just wondering if there are people out there running FOWLR tanks that do not filter their water with an RO/DI unit? I have a buddy that might try this. Any comments or recommendations are appreaciated. I understand that it is very important for a reef tank. TDS in the area is around 300-450 PPM

That depends on which elements are causing the reading; if it was mainly something like copper, than eventually you will poison the fish.

It has been done by many (to include myself) using tap water and a detoxifier/chemical treatment.

Good Luck

I wouldn't do it under any circumstances. Red slime is a disaster and extremely hard to get rid of.

It also depends on the water quality in your particular area. Most the USA has pretty lousy water for SW tanks .. but there are a few places you can still keep even a reef tank without a RO/DI setup. My limited experience with the midwest was in St. Louis and that water was tough to drink let alone put in your fish tank.

Indermark: I have 3# tanks with corals , and I put stresscoute in a 1 gal. jug , and air it for 1 week. T hen when I mix up some water I use a 5 gal. buckett and a power head and a air stone for a nother week. Works vary well for me.

Back