No Light for 11 days, Bleached Anemones

Bmgrocks

Left school for 11 days for spring break, have 1 GBTA, 1 Normal BTA, and 2 Rose BTA's, All water perams upon return were stable, and consistant, 24g Tank, 150w MH, only my GBTA and RBTA's were bleached... But the Normal one has full color. Anyways all are doin fine, and i'm feeding silverslides bi daily. Whats the reason for the bleach..

Were your lights not on a timer?! Who fed the tank?

No light for 11 days would for sure bleach an anemone - they feed off light...

they feed off light!!!???

so why is it that none of my other corals or normal bta are still colored, with no signs of bleaching...

ok sorry for that, now all unecessairy electrical outlets ect. needed to be unplugged. I live in dorm, and had only left my pumps and heater running...

as far as salinity swings, my salinity was lowered over 2 weeks to .22-.23 expecting minimal evaporation, it had only jumped to .25 not too much of a shock to an established system over a 10 day period...

the tank was not fed, all fish fasted and did well, i'm sure they ate pods, i fed very heavily before I left, and did a waterchange before leaving school...

how is it anemone's can be hidden deep in rockwork, within shadows or crevaces and obviously not absorbing light for long periods of time with out bleaching.

3 of the 4 bleached, those being the Green and Red variety, they are all feeding and doin well...I'm just wondering why everything that is Photosynthetic, including my large elegence, frogspawn, bubble, are all retaining their color???

No Considering I'm using 150w MH....

I just might understand the importance of Light....
thats just a guess tho...

Last edited:
All BTA require zooxanthellae (sp?). So considering that zooxanthellae feeds off of light, it isnt a suprise that 11 days of deprivation caused the expulsion of it.

so why is it my LPS corals, and my normal colored Anemone, still have all their zooxanthellae? what stopped them from expelling it?

some anemones and corals can tolerate little to no light for extended periods of time some can not it depends on many factors .

You've got 4 nems in a 24 gallon tank. That's massive overcrowding. Even with pristine water and lighting conditions you're going to eventually have problems with that set up. Not lighting the tank for 11 days likely only hastened or made apparent the more stressed specimens in your tank.

Back