No room to qt? You DO know that a qt doesn't have to be cycled...

As long as it's not going into your dt, no problem that I see.
Hey Sk8r could we get a comprehensive on Coral QT, if it is needed, does it neeed to be separated from fish qt, can it be uncycled? Are dips/inspection enough for corals? Can any lighting work or do you need similar lighting to your DT? I have been looking around for sure fire necessity list but seem to be getting mixed info. Thanks in Advanced!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

+1 to the above, I've been wondering the same about corals.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Personally, I just dip, and have not had any fish disease come in with it, but I also tend to get my corals from places that don't sell corals from fish tanks: they have separate coral tanks, maybe with a few 'coral tending' fish that are not sold, but live there to take care of any pests. Frankly, they're clean enough the dips have never killed any critters off it: I look at the liquid after, and never see any parasites/predators demised. Zoas are a little iffier: they're so dense and they have egg-laying predators whose eggs can survive dip. But I don't keep softies. I prefer stonies, for their growth habits.
Mind, this is me, this is MY situation. if you're in a similar situation, you're probably ok, but one mistake can hand you some really nasty predators, like red bug, (an sps predator) that are harder to get rid of than ich.

so are you tossing the $10 badge in the garbage at every tank transfer? because if you sterilize it and dry it off for 24 hours wont it die?

otherwise all that's doing is adding a gateway for ich to skip to the new tank.

I use two of them. Or if only one it does not go in the next tank until it has been dry for 24 hours. It is very unlikely of getting ammonia in 36 hours.

Setting up a cycled qt does not have to be a huge ordeal or always running. I clean all my equip between new fish. When getting ready for a new arrival, I use half new SW & half old SW (from a water change that day) along with some floss from my sump for the filter. Uncycled tanks just scare me a bit.
Exactly how I do it. I can have my 20gal QT up and running in a few hours.

Personally, I just dip, and have not had any fish disease come in with it, but I also tend to get my corals from places that don't sell corals from fish tanks: they have separate coral tanks, maybe with a few 'coral tending' fish that are not sold, but live there to take care of any pests. Frankly, they're clean enough the dips have never killed any critters off it: I look at the liquid after, and never see any parasites/predators demised. Zoas are a little iffier: they're so dense and they have egg-laying predators whose eggs can survive dip. But I don't keep softies. I prefer stonies, for their growth habits.
Mind, this is me, this is MY situation. if you're in a similar situation, you're probably ok, but one mistake can hand you some really nasty predators, like red bug, (an sps predator) that are harder to get rid of than ich.
Yeah I'm super new so I will be starting with Zoas, and softies/LPS. Maybe get an Acropora down the line. For the softies and Zoas do I dip. Then just inspect with magnifying glass to make sure nothing remains? Should I maybe post a thread in the reef section on QT Methods for softies?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Give it a week after dip with a magnifying glass: it's hatching eggs you're concerned about, and not having kept zoas since the 80's, I don't know the incubation period of the eggs.

Back