Not getting out of the hobby - 375G acrylic (free)

sfsuphysics

Got a baby that is literally about 2 weeks from hatching (officially) and I've let this thing just go. I could bore you with all the details of how it went away, lets just say too much tank, not enough time currently, and I've let it go in a big way. Lots of algae, aiptasia, and it really needs a reboot and a lot of TLC.

So I'm giving away the tank, pick up in San Francisco.

The tank is a peninsula style tank, 5 feet wide (side to side), 6 feet deep (front to back) and 20" tall. Not quite square, but close. Two overflows on the back corners, each has a 2, 2" drains w/ bulkheads (I think they're 2 inch). It had 5 holes in the bottom for a closed loop (I want to say 2- 1" and 3 1.25") which have been sealed up with a piece of acrylic and sanded to a "bump" instead of just a square piece of acyrlic, if you want those back I'm sure sanding them down won't be an issue. Eurobrace around the top is like 9" wide, acrylic is 3/4" all around, the back wall is 1" + though because the overflow was installed as a 1/4" black wall panel.
Full disclosure, there is a crack on the front side, not along the seam but actually along the panel, and on the front corners over the eurobrace (it's what caused the crack) it happened pre-water, but I welded it up and slapped a huge slab of acrylic on it (so that corner does look a little janky, my solution was to simply put that corner against the beam in my basement. But otherwise it has held water for nearly 2 years without issue.

Also the inside was completely buffed out, there was some exterior work I never got to on one side, but it's acrylic either some elbow grease or some neat buffing toys and it can get crystal clear in no time. Coraline buildup is pretty good though, like I said past few months maintenance has dropped to near zero on it, but the scrapper tool on a stick that Kent sells worked fairly well without scratching up the acrylic.

I don't have any current pictures, although I'm sure I could snap some with my phone is you desperately need them, but here's a thread at the BAR forums at starting on this page you can see pictures of the actual tank going up, and with water on it.
http://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/mikes-machination.16164/page-5

I'm not going to lie, it's a big tank and doesn't exactly just go against a living room wall. Water changes will be larger than you imagine. Getting good flow is going to be tricky. And most definitely electricity will be consumed in great quantities.

So after all that you still want the tank? Here's what you need
1) You need a truck to move this, I have a Prius, I can't deliver as I refuse to wear it on top of my car like a Shriner's hat. I rented a truck from Uhaul ($19.95 they advertise is before taxes and fees, when all is said and done it's closer to $35... but hey a $35 tank is cheap free tank).
2) People to help you move it. It's acrylic, and as a result not as heavy as glass, but it still is a big tank. I managed to move it via cheap furniture dollies ($10 each at Harbor Freight) through my garage and up a ramp I built up 2 steps, but it still was too heavy for me to push up onto the stand by myself. 2 abled body people should be plenty, I could help get it onto your truck, but as of late my body isn't as able as it used to be :D That said I will not be at your destination, to take it off your truck, and store it for however long it takes you to make a stand for it (it was in my garage nearly 2 years before I started on it I think)
3) A willingness to be flexible with me as far as time, I'm free most of the days (work nights) but like I said baby is coming, I've been working on a complete gut/rebuild of the baby room (and our bedroom) and almost done, so I could be busy. Now I don't mean this in that it is going to take a bunch of time to move, it probably won't, but the tank is still full of rocks/fish/etc so so heads up to move them to a temporary tank (rocks are going to be nuked in HCl acid) so I'll need to find some time to do that and for obvious reasons tank stuff is secondary at this point.

So still want a tank? Shoot me a PM

sorry to see it go, I've followed the build on BAR.
Welcome to a whole new adventure, with the new baby.

I will take the tank

I will take the tank

I do have a huge truck (ford F-250 with a long bed) and I will take the tank, let me know if you would like to give it to me.
thanks
Maddhu

Ok, got a few responses to this, going to go through them one at a time to see who can get this at a convenient time (for me). Not ignoring anyone if you don't get a response back.

Sounds like you have several possible homes lined up. If they all fall through I would like to be added to the line up please. Chris 831-fourfourfour-5036

Maddhugan would be a great home for that tank. A truly generous and dedicated reefer who will do the tank proud.

If tweakes is super interested.........

If tweakes is super interested.........

sfphysics

Please feel free to give it to Tweakes or someone else is super interested. If no one takes it then I will.

Thanks
Maddhu

Well it's not the interest in the tank I'm so concerned with, it's the ability of people to be able to get it out of my house.

Necessity 1: Truck
Necessity 2: Someone in addition to themselves to help.
I pulled a muscle in my chest or something (and I'm finding out how you use your chest muscles to do just about everything) so my ability to help move is severely limited to making sure it doesn't tip over or telling someone they're about to walk into a wall. (that or my wife thinks I'm having the worlds longest heart attack at 2+ weeks :D)

you are right on that

you are right on that

folks, I don't have another person/persons to load that on my truck. So if you have a truck as well as friends who can accompany you on this mission ....... That's what sfphysics means...

Back