Not Good

MJNTWise

7 Year Newbie
Yep this happened.....

Attachments

• 9fd317ea-3ced-44c2-b3de-66f7d9cc6bbc.jpg
    9fd317ea-3ced-44c2-b3de-66f7d9cc6bbc.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
That bad for the tanks? What are symptoms? And one the source is removed is the problem solved?

Rust will be all sorts of hard metals and contaminants in the water. It can lead to nothing or could crash a tank is left long enough. I would just do 2-3 largish water changes if u haven't seen any neg. effects then I don't think u will.

Roger

might want to get some poly filter, i would also call ecotech marine, tell them what happened, maybe send them a picture in the their forum, will at least replace wetside for you.

Free GFO. :) It's hard to say if rust from ceramic magnets will be problematic. I recall two little fishes nori magnet clips being reported to hurt tanks as they commonly rust, but not sure if that was coincidental or not. GFO is rust and there's no way we know how pure it is, so given the extensive use of GFO, I'm going to assume rust is perfectly fine in a tank. I think GFO may be the greatest rip off in the world considering where it is probably sourced and what it is, but hey, it works. Nevertheless, I would still remove a rusty magnet. Contradictory, I know. Hahaha

Free GFO. :) It's hard to say if rust from ceramic magnets will be problematic. I recall two little fishes nori magnet clips being reported to hurt tanks as they commonly rust, but not sure if that was coincidental or not. GFO is rust and there's no way we know how pure it is, so given the extensive use of GFO, I'm going to assume rust is perfectly fine in a tank. I think GFO may be the greatest rip off in the world considering where it is probably sourced and what it is, but hey, it works. Nevertheless, I would still remove a rusty magnet. Contradictory, I know. Hahaha

This would be true if all magnets where made from pure Iron Oxide Hydroxide, but that not always the case. If this magnet has other metals that make it easier and/or cheaper to produce, all those other components are the ones that can really hurt the tank.

Back