Now that I've got a DSLR, which macro lens should I buy?

Look into a Sigma 150mm macro awesome lens fort macro photography. I use it on my 5D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have really cool equipment! I'd like to have this stuff too. You can find many articles on Weedit photos website to know how to use it now.

Good forum and posts here. Regardless of the brand or type of camera most recommendations you see on lenses here are generally the accepted ones for a reason. Same as why 35mm, 50mm and 85 "prime lenses" are accepted portrait type lenses. They have other purposes but they're known (as are some others) to be good for that type of photography especially if there are budget limitations.

Many photographers long before us have found these lenses to be the likely best at what they do through thousands of photos. It doesn't really matter if you use a Sony, a Canon or a Nikon, the lenses themselves are known to be very good at what they're intended for.

Brands of lenses each have their own inherent issues and good research will tell you what these may be. Fortunately with sites like youtube and individual review sites, it's much easier to see for yourself what brand/model/product is best for you. A true bonus for the consumer.

I've bought thousands of dollars of camera equipment for shooting mostly landscape but I know if I want to add "macro" into the realm the 105mm "fixed" is likely my best choice. I can also go with a 90mm but those two are likely to be the best ones. It doesn't matter if I'm using a T5 Rebel or a D7100 or some other camera brand/model. I can make other lenses work (possibly) but those two are known to be great at macro marketwide.

Kit lenses (18-55 and 55-200) are acceptable for most average type photos but they are what they are. They aren't great lenses but they will sometimes give you a great photo under the right conditions. Kit lenses are intended to get you started.

Good glass costs money and its costly because it works and is of better quality. Cheaping out on a lens will likely get you what you paid for, it's an unfortunate truism if you're on a budget.

Hello, my gf and I just picked up a Cannon rebel t6 for a fairly good price. Any recommendations for a macro lense WITH OUT breaking the bank? We are 100% hobbiest and not a photography business. It is all for pleasure so we don't need the best of the best.

Thanks in advanve!

Hello, my gf and I just picked up a Cannon rebel t6 for a fairly good price. Any recommendations for a macro lense WITH OUT breaking the bank? We are 100% hobbiest and not a photography business. It is all for pleasure so we don't need the best of the best.

Thanks in advanve!

:sad1:

I don't do Canon, but you can look into off brand lenses like the Tamron 90mm or the Sigma 105mm.

Can't beat a Canon 100mm they have the regular one or the L lens. Either is great for macros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMO:

Best=Nikon 105mm macro

next=Tamron 90mm macro

next=Sigma 105mm macro

I've owned all three at one point or another.

I have been using a P&S with screw on filters, MF, WB evaluate, ISO, shutter speed and aperture settings for some time. It's frustrating and time consuming but I can get some pretty nice pictures.

My wife has an iPad pro, while her photos don't come out as good as mine, it only takes her a moment to make the shot and they aren't horrible :headwallblue:

I see MF nikon 105 macros on ebay for cheep, is that going to do what I want to do on a D100 or D200 body?

The only photography I'm interested in is coral macros.

Yes it will. They ale slower on AF, (uses the old "screw drive"), but you'll want to be in manual for real close-ups anyway.

The only 105 Nikons I’m seeing in the bargain basement are F/3.5-4.5 Will that apature work well for reef tank photos?

Those aren't true macros. They don't have 1:1 magnification. In other words, you won't be able to get real close.

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but I can add some insight about macro photography from my experiences. Bryan Peterson mention's the Canon 500D Close Up Lens (diopter) as a "poor man's macro" if attached to a telephoto lens. My poor man's macro is an older Nikon 80-200mm mounted on a Nikon D600 full frame. Good thing about this Canon diopter is that it does such a great job taking close up photography that you won't even know it's a diopter. That and it isn't camera body specific... it's available in different sizes to screw ontop of any of your telephoto lenses. My photography club shares a 77mm one... I'll be borrowing it this weekend and taking some shots of my tank. Hope this helps member's like me on a budget that can't afford a true macro lens but want good quality at an affordable price.

Those aren't true macros. They don't have 1:1 magnification. In other words, you won't be able to get real close.

what do you mean by "real close"? I think the closest I can get to anything in my tank is about 3" mos every shot will be 4-12" away.

Now I’m looking at Nikon Micro Nikkor 105mm F2.8 AiS though I think zoom capability would be useful or is it better to get a prime lense and crop in post?

Back