Now that I've got a DSLR, which macro lens should I buy?

Canon EF 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Canon EF 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM Lens

Hi,

I plan to purchase a Canon 6D as my first FF camera, for the lens kit, I really like to go for Canon EF 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM Lens since it has 1:0.7 macro lens option, so I only need to bring one lens for most trips.

However, taking SPS pictures perhaps 90% of my motivation of using a DSLR, for that, I am not too sure how zoom-in look like from a 1:07 macro lens. I would appreciate if someone can show one or two 1:0.7 marco picture compare to 1:1 macro on SPS for me to learn?

many thanks.

shih87

Ummm, we're talking macro photography here... you really should focus manually for this, so I don't think that a lack of an auto-focus motor would be any disadvantage in this application.

That depends on the photographer's eyes. Not everyone has the ability to focus on minute details. I have 20/20 vision but am not able to focus as closely and sharpley as my auto-focus can.

PS.... where in South Africa are you? I was there for a month in 2001 and did a photo safari at Chitwa-Chitwa up in the Mpumalanga Territory. Also visited Sun City, Pretoria and spent most of my time in Jo'Berg. I wish I could go back.

Looking at the Tamron 90 for my Nikon 5000 and I'm wondering what advantage is there to the one with the motor??? Some sites don't even list which version they're selling? I'm a DSLR newb and I'm stuck on this one. I thought the camera itself did the autofocus, so why would a lens need a motor?

The camera is just a box to hold film, or in the case of DSLR, a chip. The motors are in the lenses. That's why there are electrical connectors between the lens and camera body.

This is probably a stupid question (love when a post starts like this) but...

If your goal is primarily online posting of your shots, and you shoot with a decent depth of field, do you really need a macro lens or will you get good quality just shooting at a wider angle and then blowing up the focal point up on your computer. I'm assuming a pretty low resolution for online posting.

I'm sure I didn't say this perfectly so please forgive me. The last time I used an SLR, it was a Canon AE-1 and I was a junior in high school (we used chisels and slabs of rock to take notes in class). Thanks.

I read through this whole thread and didn't see an answer to this question. Can anyone shed some light on this?

It's called cropping a pic, but it really can only go so far. There are other ways like extension tubes that may work a bit better, but using a lens designed for shooting macros will normally produce better results.

Hi,

I plan to purchase a Canon 6D as my first FF camera, for the lens kit, I really like to go for Canon EF 24-70mm f/4 L IS USM Lens since it has 1:0.7 macro lens option, so I only need to bring one lens for most trips.

However, taking SPS pictures perhaps 90% of my motivation of using a DSLR, for that, I am not too sure how zoom-in look like from a 1:07 macro lens. I would appreciate if someone can show one or two 1:0.7 marco picture compare to 1:1 macro on SPS for me to learn?

many thanks.

shih87

How do you like the macro option on the lens?

I don't knoe where he got that info from, but it's wrong. The max reproduction ratio for that lens is 1:2. True macro lenses will get 1:1.

The camera is just a box to hold film, or in the case of DSLR, a chip. The motors are in the lenses. That's why there are electrical connectors between the lens and camera body.

Only with entry level bodies, such as the Nikon d3xxx and d5xxx. The older dxx bodies, and most pro, have af drive motors in the bodies.

If you have a body without an internal drive motor, you can still use motorless lenses. You'll just have to focus manually. Probably isn't too big of a deal since corals aren't really mobile.

Been a while since there was a post in here, but what do you guys think about getting the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 on a crop sensor? I shoot with a D7100, so the 90mm will effectively be 135mm. Will that still be suitable for shooting macros of corals? I'm guessing it'll be fine and if I want to shoot something larger I'll just have to back up a bit from the subject.

Looking to shoot some cool stuff soon :)

Been a while since there was a post in here, but what do you guys think about getting the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 on a crop sensor? I shoot with a D7100, so the 90mm will effectively be 135mm. Will that still be suitable for shooting macros of corals? I'm guessing it'll be fine and if I want to shoot something larger I'll just have to back up a bit from the subject.

Looking to shoot some cool stuff soon :)

Yes, that will work fantastic. The Tamron 90 worked great with my 7D, I ended up getting a 100 Canon and sold the 90, but I don't notice the difference between the two for the most part. In hindsight I would have saved some cash and stuck with the 90.

picked up a Nikon d70s and a Nikon Nikkor AF 60mm f2.8 D Micro Lens 60/2.8 for 300 bucks

1.) was this a good deal?

2.) will this take good fish and reef pics?

1. It depends on the shape of the equipment, but the price sounds close. Reed the sticky on posting and techniques. This will get you started.

2. The camera is capable, it's you that needs to get there. Post some pics when you get going.

1. It depends on the shape of the equipment, but the price sounds close. Reed the sticky on posting and techniques. This will get you started.

2. The camera is capable, it's you that needs to get there. Post some pics when you get going.

Thank you sir. I will read up on it! I would say they are in good to very good condition.

Back