Nyos 120 skimmer frustration.

charbel101

This is absolutely beyond frustrating. The quantum nyos 120 is a 500$ skimmer. The adjustement on it is absolutely brutal. I regret buying it. And im literally thinking just to put it in the trash. My tank is 4.5 weeks old. My skimmer is 6 days old. When i first turned on the skimmer. Obviously it was overflowing like crazy in my sump. So left it for few days was still overflowing. One day i decided to mess with it. So i put it on a riser all the way up. And it stopped overflowing. Now took the riser down to 8 inches. Now its sitting in 8 inches of water like they recommended. The rough adjustement valve the big valve is opened towards the skimmer body. The issue im facing with it. I can see the dirty skimmate. But it doesnt get pushed all the way up to fall into the cup. I really dont get it. Tried to play with the rough adjust and all the valves. Nothing worked. Im confused man.

This video was after opening the rough adjustement away from the body. Messing with the valve and the screw. Its just insane. I still feel smth is wrong.

With a tank that young this is a normal problem. The skimmer just doesn't have consistent organics to operate as intended. I would either not run it yet or if you like having the oxygenation, open the exhaust all the way so the water level is as low in the body as it will go and ignore it.

With a tank that young this is a normal problem. The skimmer just doesn't have consistent organics to operate as intended. I would either not run it yet or if you like having the oxygenation, open the exhaust all the way so the water level is as low in the body as it will go and ignore it.

Agreed.

Also make sure the water level in your sumps in not fluctuating.
Make sure the skimmer is sitting in the right water height. I looked it up and the water height should be 8". If the sump water is to low it can be hard to get the water level up in the skimmer and the opposite when to high. Sometime people will use a skimmer stand to lift it up.

Make small adjustments too..

Allot of people use that skimmer and love it. I have never used a Nyos myself so I have a hard time telling you how to adjust it.

When skimmate does not make it up the neck it usually is two things. One, you do not have enough load. Two your skimmer is over sized for the load..

Last edited:

My nitrate is above 14. And theres btown skim thats not enough to build up junk?

Nitrates in and of themselves are not skimmable. The organics that created the initial ammonia (that started your cycle which is barely or not finished at 4.5 weeks) that got turned into nitrates were skimmable (assuming you didn't just dose ammonia). I still maintain that you don't have a consistent bioload for that skimmer yet. What is the size of your tank and what livestock is in it?

Nitrates in and of themselves are not skimmable. The organics that created the initial ammonia (that started your cycle which is barely or not finished at 4.5 weeks) that got turned into nitrates were skimmable (assuming you didn't just dose ammonia). I still maintain that you don't have a consistent bioload for that skimmer yet. What is the size of your tank and what livestock is in it?
My cycke is not "barely" or not "finished" i dosed fritz turbo start 900. And i added live rocks from my lfs. And i was testing evrryday and my cycle is done 100% i was able to process ammonia>nitrite> nitrate in less than 48 hours. And beside its been 5 weeks as we speak. I have 2 clowns, 7 hermit crabs, couple of snails. And skunk cleaner shrimp.

Thinking on sizing a skimmer is not total volume, tank only.
And -- unless the tank is made differently they never spec out @ the volume advertised.
Not even if overflowing!

in a tank that new, with that few of inhabitants there is a minimal amount for the skimmer to pull and the little you are taking is arguably removing nutrients that your system is going to need to keep you free from dinoflagellates in such a new system.
you are better served to just use occasional water changes until you add enough stock that they become incapable of managing nutrients, THEN start skimming.

Back