O/T fireflys

block head

we had a ton of them in the backyard last night. it's been a while since i've seen fireflys in rochester. growing up , i remember seeing several colors. last night , they were green. has anyone seen different colored fireflys lately ?

They are crazy this year in my area. There are green and yellow ones. The fields and yards are literally lighting up because of them.

my grandfather was a genius, he'd pay his kids half a penny apiece ,then let them go. i'm going to try and get rid of some change this summer myself.

funny you posted this....last nite we were outside near the pool and we noticed them as well. I'm just north of Albany in Clifton Park.

was out in Basil Marella park a couple nights ago and they were all over. i dont think ive seen (or noticed) different colored ones ever though

i think the green and yellow are fireflies in diff. stages of there life cycle. not sure but i think one of the colors means they are on there way out. lol sorry.

i could be way wrong but i thought i heard this.

Huh, I was at my sister's house a couple days ago and we were looking over a large field at the fireflies. everyone there said there were more there than any of us had ever seen before. I would guess there were easily tens of thousands. It was actually quite cool.

tad would know better, but i remember reading the color and frequency had to do with mating. some even mimic other flys then eat them. i want to say i caught red or orange ones in canada

Wow, this turns out to possibly be a regional thing. Maybe the entire Northeast is having this. It's pretty cool I wonder if it means anything.

i've noticed a lagre amout also this year i thought they were on there way out like the honey bees but ive seen more of them also this year then the past 5yrs. i think mr86 is right about the northeast. im down in scranton, pa.

Back