Oceanic 215 with Solaris Build

Me No Nemo

Premium Member
Well, I've been planning this for several years and it's finally in the works. I'm determined to do this without a chiller so I went with the new Solaris 400w I Series Light. Here's some pics from the start up to what we have finished today:

The room that we modified for the new tank:

Roomtankisgoinginto.jpg

Former Front of house:

Urchin6.jpg

Front of house in progress:

Windowfirst.jpg

Almost done outside:

Window2.jpg

Now it just needs some paint!

Window3outside.jpg

Inside framing: The light is going and spots are being put in:

Insideframing.jpg

Inside...lots to still be done but I love the window!!

windowinside4x.jpg

100_1727.jpg

100_1753.jpg

100_1752.jpg

100_1751.jpg

100_1750.jpg

100_1749.jpg

Last edited:
As you can tell, I'm really anxious to get that other tank out of the living room!

Rocknewtank019.jpg

Rocknewtank013.jpg

Rocknewtank021.jpg

This one weighs close to 50 lbs.

Rocknewtank022.jpg

Last edited:
The Aquamedic doser and Aquacontroller 3 will be on tomorrow. The front of the cabinet, canopy and side cabinets are being made so when it's all finished it will look like a built in.

Thanks:) We already have a Solaris running on a Zero Edge tank and I love the colors it brings out in the corals. That ones only a G series 250 and has been running for about 8 months. Even SPS do well coloring up and staying healthy, but the growth hasn't been the best. This I series light is unbelievably bright, to the point that I think I'll have to tone down the lighting when I first place the corals and gradually bring it back up. I'm really impressed with the preset lighting cycles: sunrise, full light, sunset, moonrise and moonset. The night time blues make a beautiful display. So far, I'm very happy with the new lights.

is this tank from oceanic?
i didn't know that they make that big of the tank? can i ask where did you get the tank from?? and how do you order it?/
thanks
what dimention is this??

Well, this is the Oceanic 215 Ultimate Aquarium (the largest Tech tank they make is a 120). The Ultimate has starphire front, beveled edges and the black silicone. The dimensions are 72x24x30. There are some differences in the overflows and top tank bracing, but aside from that it's close to the Tech tank in looks. Beautiful tank! I'd check locally with your LFS...any of them that sell All Glass should have access to the Oceanic line as well since they are now sold under the same company.

Looking great Marcye!

It looks like you have Tom hard at work. I agree with you on not wanting the chiller. I am running two MH, T5's and VHO's about 5" above the waters surface and have been able to avoid a chiller on my 110 just using fans & keeping temps at 79, so you should be more than ok with just some fans.

Keep us updated to the progress!

Hi Cham, thanks! The temp right now in the tank with everything running is 77.5, so I think I'm going to be fine without a chiller. Yep, Tom's been hard at work for several months on this...want it all in place by the holidays!

I love the first part of the thread. I can almost read your mind... ("first thing to do is get rid of these annoying windows so I can put a tank here without the house looking like a pet store!"). Or maybe you just didn't want direct sun heating your tank and causing algae to grow. :lol:

Anyway...

Great looking setup and kudos to be one of the LED pioneers.

R:lol:

Yeah, or it could have been "Gee, let's get rid of this 1960's look!" I have enough of the "pet store" look at work everyday, so it's definitely nice that those windows are gone.

so oceanic tank ,,,i have to order it from lfs?? would it be better price if i just order straight from oceanic?
so the tank you have ,,with euro brace or center braces?
do they do custom size tank?? nice process anyway,,thanks,,,

Back