Oceanic cube w/o bracing?

recreative

hi there -

I really like the look of the brace/rimless tanks and am wondering if anyone out there has removed the rim from an oceanic cube tank?

I was thinking of taking it off and ideally going without any bracing, but not sure if the tank could handle the pressure? could eurobrace it . . .

any input is appreciated.
David

the glass is 3/8 inch, so you've got that going for you. I have never heard of anyone taking the trim off though.

Thanks Captian.

yeh thats what i was thinking too, the thickness should help. an engineer friend told that the bulk of the pressure is at the bottom of the tank . . .

pretty sure i will start removing this weekend, wish someone else had some experience??

sorry for the late input and thanks for your reply.
David

I was hoping to stay away from any bracing at all . . . but euro bracing is a lot cleaner and seems easy enough to do.

i wonder if i were to go ahead and remove the trim, and do a water test to see if itll hold . . . ??

just not sure if the tanks seams would slowly start to separate or just pop from the pressure?

probably find out this weekend, i will post pics of my project.

thanks again.
David

I've got a 20 high that I pulled the bracing off of. It is a standard petsmart tank so I would be pretty sure a quality tank like the oceanic wouldn't have a problem. It is my sump but it still holds over 16 gallons.
I used a dremel with a cut-off wheel, a flat head screwdriver, and a box knife. If I were going to do it again, I would cut do more cuts with the dremel than I did.
I would say go for it but that's my 2 cents.

Perfect! Thanks Tang-itis!!

thats whats im gonna do. got a bunch of cut wheels . . . cant wait.

i just love the look of trimless tanks.

appreciate your input.
David

Great idea .... until the silicone ages and the top edges start to pull away from each other. All you guys removing bracing from your tanks. Don't you think they put it there for a reason? Silicon is not glue and does lose its adhesive qualities over time. If you want a tank without bracing then have one engineered and built without it.

I've asked that question before to All-Glass and they said even if there is no brace in the middle, the plastic trim is there to help the integrity of the tank.

And, they all make tanks the same way. So, I think that would answer your question.

schristi69 & sarduci thanks for your input.

the other side of the coin . . . longetivity and integrity, indeed.

thats why im posting to learn. so please keep the thoughts flowing . . .

David

Back