Oceanic Owners - Question on Water Height?

Ted_C

Those of you that have owned an oceanic tank with the glass center brace - How high was your water? Was the bottom of the glass center brace completely submerged? Partially submerged? or not submerged at all?

Here's a pic of mine which is currently running partially submerged:
2015_03_29_Oceanic_Center_Brace.jpg

This can be controlled via the amount of water you have being pumped into the tank.

I'm just trying to gauge if I'm trying to pump too much water into the tank based on other's experience with the oceanic's tanks.

Thanks!

well, I do have to admit I'm getting pretty good flow at the moment - even with the teeth still in there. I have a DC12000 running around 70% - the 1" drains are almost maxed out on both overflows - I have the valves open around 90%

It's also fairly quiet at the moment - which is important - as the tank is in my office.

I have a 5 foot 156. I keep the water level under the center brace, but I still have to clean the glass brace occasionally.

Not submerged at all.....if I did see the brave partially submerged I knew the water was high in the overflows and I needed to change the sock

Not submerged on either my 75 or my 180. If they were submerged at all it made me worried that at some point they might overflow.

Thanks Everyone - so it seems I have the display too full since the center brace is getting wet on the bottom. I might take Cornnut's suggestion and cut the teeth out so I can optimize the turnover from return pump while keeping the water below the center brace.

I'll cover the opening with gutter guard or something - probably use weldon #4 to attach it + some aquarium safe silicone.

If you use gutter guard don't glue it will just set in between the two walls of the overflow. Then you can remove it for cleaning or replace it if you don't want to clean it

too late. :)

surprisingly, cutting the teeth out didn't get me much lower in the height in the display.

So that didn't work.
2015_03_30_Oceanic_Center_Brace.jpg

I think I've resolved this by running the DC12000 a bit slower. I am currently running 4 clicks below maximum - which should be giving me 3090 GPH at the outlet. After ~ 4.5 feet of headloss - that should take me to around 2400 GPH.

2015_04_01_Oceanic_Center_Brace.jpg

I keep my center brace mostly submerged but have a 250 Watt MH over it and heard they can crack. If running t5's or LED's don't think water height would matter.
I find the glass remains cleaner when the water runs higher.

Back