ok! I am going to really start a saltwater tank

reef_dreamer620

Hello! I think this is my first post but have been a member for years. My name is Toni and I live in the Tampa Bay area in FL. A little about what I have and my goal....

I have always had freshwater tanks...yes tanks my daughter called me the fish lady. :) BUT, I have taken them down because they bore me now and I really want to do saltwater. I have been preparing for years but never actually had the sand and fish. (one time started the water) I have taken so long because I believe in doing it right or not at all. Over the years I have purchased equipment to help me reach my goal. I have purchased an RI/DO system. I know it is spectra pure and has four canisters and the tank that lies sideways on the top. Only ever hooked up the basic two canister and the other three still on my shelf. I have a 90 gallon tank (NON-Drilled :(), a 55 gallon tank, and a 46 bow front tank. I have purchased all the fancy chemicals (hopefully still good) and testing kit. (No problem testing water I was fanatic about it when I had all tanks up and running.) I have heaters (probably will not need in FL). I even have the blue and orange gloves and the hose 27ft to help clean from fresh water.... I have a few large bio wheel filters and a hang on overflow box that I really don't want to use, a large canister filter and an active aqua PU800 pump. Says 800 gallons per hour and pluming stuff easy to get and at cost because best friend a plumber. And two 6 foot lights one with fans that I used when the 90 gallon tank was a planted freshwater tank; AND finally 40 pounds of Nature's ocean reef sand (this is why I must finally go for it because sand expires 2/2011..

ok so here is what I am thinking to start reef tank which I want a species of clown fish and host and the sand gobies (drawing blank if that is the right name) that my son and I love to watch when we visit store regularly.

I want to run the 90 gallon tank but have it drilled by my local store FIOAS a highly respected store in the area. No the bottom is not tempered glass. They of course cannot promise tank will not break but I got it free and refuse to have a non-drilled tank. I think I should be able to have my 55 gallon tank converted to a sump. Again local says they could help with this...not sure if I how I would go about getting the acrylic..but have thought I might be able to do this myself, but....don't want to do it wrong. My skill level I have no problem with electrical since I do IT work and hooked up pool pump...but again my fear of doing it right the first time. (Feel free to offer suggestions or confidence motivation at any time!). I have the pump that I think would work to get water back to tank. I know I need power head and protein skimmer but not sure which one to get. My lights are old and need new bulbs.

First priority is trying to get this live sand in the water so that it does not go bad....not that I really think it will, but.....

I have no problem with taking things slow I have taken years at this point. AGAIN I JUST WANT TO HAVE A NATURAL REEF TANK SET UP FOR SUCCESS!

Sorry so long maybe it shows you all the things I have been thinking about to ensure I don't have problems that are costly. Single mom and can't afford that but this is my one hobby that I have enjoyed all my life and need to get off the sidelines and get my own reef tank...again done right. :) Thanks for help and advice this Forum is the best.:worried2:

I would recommend checking out the DIY forum if you already haven't. They have some really good stuff on helping save money and would have some ideas for your sump. You have defiantly done your research though you seem like you know what your doing.

first thing you need to do is decide what type livestock and inverts you want to keep then start gearing your equipment purchases towards what they will require as far as lighting and filtration go....there are tons of great folks here willing to guide you along the way...good luck and welcome to reef central...

Sounds like a plan. Any of those filters will work as a Fish only or FOWLR --- you can remove the media and use them to push water around too !

Best of Luck

Seems like your on the right track and it sounds like your willing to take it slow. Ive had my FOWLR up for almost 5 yrs now and am just starting to get ready to get into reef and Ive had freshwater tanks all my life. A friend of mine fell in love with my tank and decided to dive head first into a full blown reef with no experience at all. Needless to say he ran into all kinds of problems and wasted alot of money. RC is a great place for information and help if troubles should arise. +1 on the DIY forum theres some pretty cool stuff on there. Best of luck on your new adventure.

For my live rock I am really considering Tampa Bay Saltwater. It has caught my attention over the last couple of years and have really heard nothing but good things about their Rock and Richard plus I live in Tampa and would not have the shipping fees. I am concerned about the hitch hikers but I believe (correct me if I am wrong please) since I would be starting a new tank and using the rock and sand to start the cycle that if I just take the time to ensure that the bad hitch hikers are gone before I start adding fish I should be ok.

I have been refreshing on converting my 55 gallon tank to a sump and really may take this on myself. I read that since I am using glass tank I should use glass for the baffles which I can get cut at Lowes? along with the silicone. I like Lowes. I seem to spend a lot of time there since I am also redecorating the room this tank will be located. So getting the glass cut should be easy which is important since I am female and have not attempted to use a saw…. yet. I am still looking for a good plan for the sump design and set up if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
Thanks everyone I agree on how helpful everyone on this site is and grateful I found it at the start of my research and even more grateful to have this site now. I am feeling cautiously excited!

Also, I am a little concerned that since I am using a 55 gallon tank for sump that I will have enough clearance to remove the skimmer cup. I have not decided on a skimmer yet and know that this issue will need to be considered when I do. At this time I do not know the exact measurements of my 55 gallon tank because it is stored on the top shelf of my storage room (not put there by me) and I am unable to get it down alone. A friend is supposed to help me with that this weekend, but until then I just know that it is long and skinny. I REALLY HOPE IT FITS UNDER MY 90 gallon tank because my 46 is a bowed front and that would be a problem fitting I am pretty sure.UGH
The cabinet of my 90 gallon tank is 26.5 inches tall from floor to tank bottom but only 22.5 inches tall from floor to top of door opening. What are your feelings about this? Am I worrying for nothing? Or could anyone suggest a reliable skimmer that would work in this situation?

I think I just ran into my first speed bump.....UGH

I did some research and believe I will find that my 55 gallon tank is 48" long which is the same size as my 90 gallon tank. As my luck has gone as of late I am almost certain that means it will not fit under 90 gallon tank. This means I can switch to only doing a 55 gallon tank and getting smaller sump, BUT not really liking that idea. So, I am feeling like I need to figure out what I want to do for a sump...... But, I know that this is why it is so important to make a plan before you just start buying so I am grateful I found out now...(well pretty certain) So, I am open to suggestions on sump PLEASE. I really think that my 46 bow front will be to wide to fit in the cabinet as well. Darn it Now I am sad!

drill the tank, ditch the canister filter, build an overflow(easy..dig forum) decide on live stock,don't worry about the sand a 40 dollar bag of sand will be the least you spend in this hobby....also get more sand and a ton of live rock. Go slow! when you think you know what you need to do...read more..review more products. form your own opinion from reading about user reviews..and not just 1 or 2 read as many as possible. also what kind of light are you using?(LED,HQI,VHO,T5,CF) good luck and happy reefing this hobby is so rewarding done right!. enjoy

just go buy another 30 gal that will fit or look on craigslist being in florida ppl are getting rid of tanks by the dozens.

Back