ok, troops, listen up...and pass it on!

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
Newbies can help a lot---by answering things for other newbies like: the questions just keep coming, sometimes 3 and 4 pretty much the same every few hours.

1. what do I do about hair algae? The answer: get rid of the phosphate that came in with your live rock or from tapwater, if you aren't using ro/di. First, use ro/di. Then get either a fuge or a phosphate reactor going. No phosphate = no algae. Note: testing for it won't work unless it's in the water. It's usually in the algae.

2. I found a bristleworm. Should I kill it? The answer: no. They're valuable to your tank. Just wear latex gloves when handling rock, where they hang out. They won't hurt your corals. If your fish gets bristled, it'll fall off after 2 days and your fish will get smarter.

3. I have high nitrate. Why? THe answer: filters are the likely culprit. Change them every 4-5 days. Or do without them altogether.

4. Should I use the bioballs that came in my sump? Not good: withdraw them, if they're in use, handful a day until gone. Better for your tank.

5. my snails keep dying: snails have to be acclimated just like fish, even more so. And the pointy snails aren't good on fine sand: they'll die if they fall over. Get them back on the rock with chopsticks if they fall over, or shove them over near the glass.

Michael

NTTH Rookie Help
Premium Member
especially the bit about the phosphate, i just dont think new reefers realise just how damaging the stuff is, great point sk8r, hope some of them actually take note, since i added my reactor the system has drastically improved

Allanira

Actually I'm a new reefer/newb. I am going to take note of everything on here. I dont use filters anymore, and never used bioballs, but I do need to take note of everything else on there. Really good post for people like me. Thank you.

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
Probably not that great, snorvich. I've come up from base rock---eventually got rid of the algae, but I wouldn't be surprised to know that's a problem.

twoodall

You are right sk8r, thanks for the short reminder. Can you refer me to a post about a phosphate reactor, where the obvious questions can be answered without having to rehash them?

Rendos

Bio-balls are a very efficient biological filter media. The key is to keep them clean. If maintained properly, they will not produce excess nitrates. They simply provide a highly oxygenated area for biological bacteria to grow, thus converting waste to ammonia, nitrites, and finally nitrates.
Also, if you have a fish only tank without a lot of live rock for decoration, bio-balls are going to be a good choice for biological filtration. Again - the key is keeping them clean. Use good mechanical filtration via filter floss, etc. before water gets to the bio-balls, and keep that mechanical media cleaned, or changed often.