One post to rule them all...

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
How NOT to have interlocked, messy problems...water quality. Do ALL of this: it won't hurt you and it may fix your problems.
1. use ro/di: fahgeddaboudit! use ro/di for setup AND maintenance: you don't need the grief.
2. once you've cycled, you need a different sort of tests applied once weekly at least, and once daily when you're about to add a fish or coral. What I use, should anybody care, is all Salifert brand: Alkalinity, No3, Phosphate, Calcium, Magnesium. If I were keeping softie corals or fish-only I'd skip the calcium and magnesium. What I use will keep a stony reef OR clams.
3. get supplements for alkalinity (buffer); magnesium; calcium, if stony reef; for alkalinity buffer if fish-only or softies. The brand I use is Kent Turbo Calcium, Kent Tech-M (magnesium); and Kent Alkalinity Buffer. There are others just as good.
4. These are readings that will keep you out of trouble:
a) temperature 78-79;
b) salinity 1.024 [this is the salinity that many salt mixes go for, at the rate of one knife-leveled half cup of salt mix per 1 precise gallon of water. But test: fish only salt will come in lower. Some reef salt (Reef Crystals, thank you HL) and Instant Ocean comes in lower. Watch overactive skimmers and such that can throw your salinity balance by removing salt water and causing your ATO to jet in fresh water, so test weekly.]
c) alkalinity between 7.9 and 9; I find 8.3 a real nice resting spot, right in the middle of that range.
d) calcium no lower than 420 for stony coral or clams. up to 480 is fine. It's a fairly fussy range. Stick to it.
e) magnesium at 1350 for stony coral or clams. It can go a shade higher; but if your mg (scientific abbreviation) drops below 1200---your alkalinity will sink like a stone and cannot be raised no matter how much buffer you add until you FIRST raise your mg past 1200. It's ocean magic. Water chemistry. And it can get your tank in a REAL mess (not to mention your pipes) if you don't know this.
f) will it hurt a fish-only or softie tank to maintain stony coral-class water? Not at all. Water with 8.3 alk, 420 cal, and 1350 mg can hold steady chemistry with NO fuss or supplement at all until the mg drifts lower than 1200...if you add calcium powder (kalk) to your ro/di water at 2 tsps per gallon of ro/di. Magic, I tell you; and a big work-saver. It doesn't take a controller to do this: it's just chemistry. An ATO makes this addition automatic and, given an autofeeder, lets you leave your tank unattended for weeks on end (vacation.)
[WHEN DOSING SUPPLEMENT: test before adding, add according to instruction, then wait 8 hours to test again, add more according to instructions, wait 8 hours [time to fully dissolve and work.] Start with mg, then alk, then cal, always that order. If only dosing alk, just proceed, same 8 hour wait---but if alk will NOT rise, something's wrong with the mg...get it tested.
4. Keep a little logbook, any piece of paper: and test daily for your first week or two to learn how your tank behaves. After that, go every 3 days; then once a week. ALWAYS DOSE BEFORE it hits the 'bad' level, and the log book
will show you the rate at which it's changing. If it's 'bad' it's, yes, bad for your fish and corals, and you need to prevent that EVER happening.
5. Re nitrates: rock, sand, skimming and water changes lower nitrates. If your water changes don't do it, you need a better, fancier skimmer OR your sump has become so gunky all over with brown fluff it needs cleaning. Take a flashlight and look. For stony coral, keep nitrate under 5. For softies and fish, under 20. Fish can survive over 50 but it's like living in toilet water. Nicer for them if you can fix it. Corals absolutely cannot tolerate high nitrate.
6. re ammonia: lethal to fish in most any amount. Corals actually tolerate it better than fish. But it's death in the water.
7. re phosphate: you need a trace. But no more than that. Nothing likes it in high amounts but algae you don't want. If you have more than a trace, GFO reactor can remove it---you MUST change the medium monthly, because it can saturate in a week, in a bad tank, and beyond that you're just spinning your wheels uselessly.
8. flow: the ocean moves. Big. for a 50 gallon tank, 950 gallons per hour flow throughout the tank. Most coral doesn't like its polyps blown sideways, so find them spots where this doesn't happen, but your fish will probably like having more oxygen and exercise.
9. light: T5, REEF LEDS, or metal halides for stony corals and clams; less for softies and fish. Shelter from the brightest light is needed for fish and some corals. Consult on specifics. I keep a 12 hour photoperiod, with 10 hours of sunlight ramping up from a blue dawn and down to a blue twilight, an hour each.
10. oxygenation: the cleaner your water, the more oxygen it can carry. The foaming action of the skimmer also oxygenates, and it should not be turned off even if it keeps you awake at night. If you have a crisis of cooling, that's ok: cooler water at least holds oxygen better; heating is the opposite: warmer water can't hold oxygen as well as cooler. And that's kinda important to know.
--------------------------
Yes, these are 'absolute' answers with a little wiggle. But if you do these right, you will have FAR less trouble with your tank, with the one chance parasite getting a hold, with your fish coming down with stuff, and with your corals failing mysteriously. This kind of covers the whole gamut of reef conditions and how you handle the water conditions that make it 'like home' for things we keep. No fish is going to complain about water corals like.

Last edited:
You're right, and thank you, HL. Instant Ocean likewise comes in a little short.
I mix with Instant Ocean at 1 level gallon (16 cups) of salt mix to 32 gallons of water, and turn up at 1.024...but there's usually a fudge because my (pretty big Rubbermaid Brute) mixing barrel is not precision in volume. I will add that caveat into the text on edit, with a thank you for your quick catch.

All of which points to, let us say---test. Test. Test. And if you're running a skimmer, your salinity can change. A very 'wet' skim can be taking salt water out of your tank while your ATO is happily adding more freshwater. So don't omit that test each week!

Thanks for this.

I'm struggling a bit with the 'after the cycle' piece. There's so much information on cycling, not so much when you're done and what to do next.

Thanks for posting the brands used, there's a lot to navigate and without an lfs (online only) it's even more difficult.

I do have a question - you said to purchase and test for cal/mag/alk, which I get, but, where does the kalkwasser dosing in the ato reservoir fit into this please?

I do have a question - you said to purchase and test for cal/mag/alk, which I get, but, where does the kalkwasser dosing in the ato reservoir fit into this please?

My understanding (and I'm new to all this so anyone correct me where I'm mistaken) but as you add corals/clams to your tank, they'll start to pull the calcium out of your water column.

If you're doing large/frequent enough water changes, they should never pull enough out to be a problem.

However, as you add more corals, they'll start to draw more calcium out of the water than is replaced with normal water changes, at which point you want to start supplementing with kalk.

Since kalk is pretty chemically active, you don't want to dump it into the tank, instead it's better to drip it into the tank slowly.

Many reef tanks already have an RO/DI water ATO set up which is already slowly adding water to the tank, so you add the kalk to that setup and it will slowly top off the water and calcium levels, in a more stable way than once or twice a day adding it in bulk. edit: (removed "distilled" and added RO/DI per Sk8r's suggestion)

In order to dose properly though, you have to be monitoring your chemical levels in the water.

Last edited:
THat's exactly right. 'Cept for 'distilled,' add 'ro/di' which is even purer [than most commercial distilled water.]

Kalk (kalkwasser is German for calciumwater) is best set up about two months before you head off on your first vacation from your pretty-nicely-growing reef. Novices don't need to do it, because the calcium draw from, oh, 3 stony corals, is manageable by hand-dosing. BUT hammer coral and clams are calcium hogs, so if they start really sucking it in and you find you're on your second jar of Turbo Calcium (which is pricey, at about 18.00) you will be happy to find that two pounds of Mrs Wages Pickling Lime (kalk) costs somewhere around 5.00. Most people go to kalk with stony coral because it is Sooooo much cheaper! [And automatic, via your ato.] As your corals really grow (I had a hammer that reached over 50 heads, and every division it'd double, sucking down calcium like mad. It was a wonderful coral, (I fragged and traded it, when I went to a new tank.) but if I had to feed that creature 18.00 a jar Turbo Calcium, I'd have been broke fast!

"One post to rule them all?" That was a very bad choice of words IMO. I don't doubt that you are very knowledgeable, but there is always a bigger dog out there....

Thank you for clarifying. So at this point, until I am frequently adding calcium, this is not something I need to be concerned about in the beginning.

One more question (please pardon if this is a dumb one). I'm online now trying to order the Kent supplies you recommended and cannot find Kent Alkalinity Buffer - is this the dkh buffer? Sorry - nobody to ask...

You need not be concerned in the beginning except to pin that calcium level to 420. That makes the calcium dissolved in the water available for the corals sufficient (given the alkalinity) for them to absorb and grow new skeleton.
And yes, I apologize: it is Kent DKH buffer. DKH is the scale we use for testing alkalinity: the Salifert alkalinity test renders two results, one on the DKH scale, and that is the one you read.
Incidentally, if using the Salifert tests, to measure fluid, have the black edge of the plunger 'on the line' of the gradations for 'full', and as you discharge it, you read the syringe with the point down, ie, read how much fluid was left in the syringe when the solution turned dark or blue or whatever that particular test does. Salifert is useful because for alk-cal-mg, you're not comparing colors: the liquid changes both color AND opacity, which makes it easier for people who don't compare shades of color---I swear I have optical illusions when doing the few color-gradation things I have to do. This is why I like this brand.

Ok. Thanks so much. I actually had the salifert and Red Sea in my basket and was just googling which was better.

One more thread to add to my 'how to' collection!!!

My question and issue is Alk, I'm steady between 10.0-10.5, using Red Sea coral pro.

Should I be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One post to rule them all...

If you have sps and have low nutrients then yes.. otherwise your fine

At the moment I only have a small frag of Zoas and clove polyps.

I don't plan (yet or near future) on having SPS. Leaning more towards LPS and leathers / mushrooms.

Nutrients
Nitrates 5-10
P04 - <0.0
Cal 430-450
Mg 1230 (dosing to a target of 1385).

You're in pretty good shape, Capsle. Tanks are like snowflakes, when you get to fine-tuning them: I've found no two quite alike. THis is why so much testing first off helps, it's why keeping a log helps (so you can dose before you hit the red line of 'bad territory') and why advice sometimes doesn't exactly work the same magic in another tank. There are just so many variables. Pick a target and aim for it close as you can get it, and generally it will work out ok. There are only a few absolutes---the harmful character of certain elements like ammonia and nitrate---and the need for certain salinity levels; but most of it has a little flex in the system. In giving numbers above I've tried to put you where nature gives you leeway, eg the 1.024 salinity: it's ok for everything; and the only place natural evaporation is going to send it is UP, as it concentrates the salt in less water. It's ok all the way up to 1.026, but no higher, so if I say---shoot for 1.024, you've got two whole ticks to catch it before it's a problem, which won't happen generally in one day. [But an ato removes all worry!] Of course if your ATO screws up, it's going to send salinity too LOW, pdq.

"One post to rule them all?" That was a very bad choice of words IMO. I don't doubt that you are very knowledgeable, but there is always a bigger dog out there....

Someone needs to do some LOTR reading, ASAP! :)

Sk8r, how does one handle ringwraiths in the tank??? :rollface:

Back