One wall outlet - power entire setup?

I agree with the notion that it would work, but it's not the best practice. I certainly ran my smaller tanks on one circuit before, but I did like to ensure that they were dedicated. If you're running other house-hold items on the same load, you're asking for trouble. FWIW, I have 4 circuits for my larger system (300 gallons), none of which will be loaded over about 7amps and all of which are GFCI.

Try it out one time. Usually an iron, or hair dryer will do the trick. Plug one into the same outlet or outlet on both sides of the aquarium and see if it trips. If it trips, make an adjustment. If you rely on your wife or child not to plug something into an available outlet, you are asking for trouble.

Everything in my entire gameroom is on one circuit, from computer to xbox, surround sound and the aquarium.

Good idea! Thanks

I agree with the notion that it would work, but it's not the best practice. I certainly ran my smaller tanks on one circuit before, but I did like to ensure that they were dedicated. If you're running other house-hold items on the same load, you're asking for trouble. FWIW, I have 4 circuits for my larger system (300 gallons), none of which will be loaded over about 7amps and all of which are GFCI.

I think it will just be household items, in addition to the 75g setup. I think I have the means to put the outlet on an exclusive, hi-capacity circuit fairly easily, if things don't go well. The builder put in an extra circuit (for something like a future hot tub) that is not yet wired, and this outlet is only about 20 feet from the breaker box.

Everyone of us could tell you what we have hooked up to one receptacle, but it's worthless data and should under no circumstances be a deciding factor on your part.

You need to do some sleuthing and use that data to do some math. Turn everything on, and then shut off the breaker, find out every last piece of electrical equipment that runs on that breaker and add up all the current draw. Most items will have either current or power listed, to convert power to current divide it by 120.

For example, your living room has two lamps with 100W bulbs, so that's 200/120=1.7A, a phone charger which is .2A, a TV which draws about 2A, an entertainment system that draws 8A and possibly an iron or vacuum which cold draw anywhere from 10-15A.

So adding it all up nets roughly 20A, so adding anymore power hungry devices on that circuit isn't really a good idea.

Im runing my full system on one outlet for now. Im going to have a electrician come at the end of the month to check it out. He might want to add more plugs and a bigger breaker.

Not knowing anything about household electricity, my mind has formulated this question: Can just one wall outlet power an entire 75g fish tank setup? I would plug a GFCI adapter into the outlet, then a large power strip into that. I will be theoretically powering:

* 6-bulb 36" T5 HO Tek fixture 6 x 54 = 324
* Single 150w MH DE pendant 150 W
* Mag 9 return pump 5W
* 300w heater 300
* Estimated quivalent of four Koralia 4 powerheads 6W x 4= 24W
* ATO system Aqualifter - 2W
* Sump light 26 W CFL
* Protein skimmer 5W

Best guess is 836 W of power/120 V = 6.96 amps. Even if you are on a 15 amp circuit, you're fine.

Other notes: other power comsumption on that circuit MAY cause a breaker fault, i.e. vacuum, hair dryer, TV, etc.

For continuous duty, dont run more than 80% capacity. 12 amps on a 15A, 16 on a 20A.

I use two outlets only because they are accessible where my stand and tank is. I use a surge protected GFCI power strip I got from office depot that powers my 2 powerheads, return pump, skimmer pump, and two heaters and fan for my T5's. The other outlet has the same power strip with a maxijet 1200, T5 power supply, and VHO ballast plugged in it. I'd say one outlet would be fine, but make sure you have a surge protected GFCI power strip that all your equipment is plugged into. I have my power strips mounted off the ground screwed into my stand legs so unless we have a 3' deep flood come through my house they should never get wet and have the chance of blowing a fuse, creating a spark or starting a fire (god forbid).

In addition, find out what else is on that circuit. If you are worried about wife or kids using the additional outlets, cover them with the safety plugs and dont use them.

By code, there are only supposed to be 6 outlets per circuit.

Everyone of us could tell you what we have hooked up to one receptacle, but it's worthless data and should under no circumstances be a deciding factor on your part.

You need to do some sleuthing and use that data to do some math. Turn everything on, and then shut off the breaker, find out every last piece of electrical equipment that runs on that breaker and add up all the current draw. Most items will have either current or power listed, to convert power to current divide it by 120.

For example, your living room has two lamps with 100W bulbs, so that's 200/120=1.7A, a phone charger which is .2A, a TV which draws about 2A, an entertainment system that draws 8A and possibly an iron or vacuum which cold draw anywhere from 10-15A.

So adding it all up nets roughly 20A, so adding anymore power hungry devices on that circuit isn't really a good idea.

Best guess is 836 W of power/120 V = 6.96 amps. Even if you are on a 15 amp circuit, you're fine.

Other notes: other power comsumption on that circuit MAY cause a breaker fault, i.e. vacuum, hair dryer, TV, etc.

For continuous duty, dont run more than 80% capacity. 12 amps on a 15A, 16 on a 20A.

Thank you, Chris27 and hvacman250, for the consumption-figuring methodology! I bumped the tank consumption to 1000w, which gave me an estimate of 8.3 amps draw: hopefully not too bad on the 20a circuit. Obviously, I'll still have to be conscous of what else might be run on the circuit.

I use two outlets only because they are accessible where my stand and tank is. I use a surge protected GFCI power strip I got from office depot that powers my 2 powerheads, return pump, skimmer pump, and two heaters and fan for my T5's. The other outlet has the same power strip with a maxijet 1200, T5 power supply, and VHO ballast plugged in it. I'd say one outlet would be fine, but make sure you have a surge protected GFCI power strip that all your equipment is plugged into. I have my power strips mounted off the ground screwed into my stand legs so unless we have a 3' deep flood come through my house they should never get wet and have the chance of blowing a fuse, creating a spark or starting a fire (god forbid).

scubasteve06, I appreciate the tip on keeping the electrical work up high. This will all be in a basement, so I'll do that!

Back