OneReef's 120g DreamReef

Just checked out your post and man I'm sorry for your loss. This hobby is full of ups and downs is what I have learned and all we can do is keep it pushing so push on brother and keep up the good work and next time you give away a fish let me known first lol just kidding

Just read from start to finish. Extremely well documented build thread - kudos on that. I was really sad to hear about your recent crash but it was really beneficial to have that documented as well. Thanks so much for sharing all of this and I will be following along in the future. :D

I am only running my metal halides about 5-6 hours right now for the few coral I have, I'll eventually build it up, but while I was short on coral, I didn't see the need to run them all day. The nice thing about my old LEDs was that I could make sunrise sunset effect, and have some kind of light on while the main light period was off. Right now, the tank was dark while the halides were not on.

On my older tanks with halides, I ran VHOs for actinic lighting before and after my halides, so that I could view the tank. I found a nice deal on a VHO retro kit, so I bought it and installed it last night. I am using (2) 46.5" VHO, one Super Actinic and one '454'. It gives the tank a nice color, the coral colors really fluoresce under them. Now I have lighting to run before and after my halides.

I am going to have to spend part of today fixing all the birdsnest of wiring that go to the ballast. That's what I hate about VHOs. You have about 20 wires running everywhere. I will get that tidied up today.

Here are a couple of I-Phone pics before the cleanup:

FDB261CC-753E-44F4-B5E7-6B07969E6065-708-0000005E439C5889.jpg

7041C590-3618-446C-9921-E76FF6166FBE-708-0000005E4AF4DD30.jpg

Last edited:

I added a few more SPS frags yesterday that I found at Memfish. I am slowly trying to build my stock back up. I will pick up some coral at the frag swap and also MACNA, but then I am going to slow down and add little by little.

Here are a few I found yesterday:

I am not sure what this coral is, but it is my favorite in the tank right now. It is a beautiful purple/teal with fuzzy polyps. It is truly pretty and looks better than the picture. I need to find out what it is:

purplefuzzyacro.jpg

Green Slimer. Very common, but fast growing and hardy, mainly I wanted to add a nice neon green splash of color to my tank:

greenslimer.jpg

I think this is a bonsai, not 100% certain though:

bonsai-3.jpg

And the hard to find, awesome Strawberry Shortcake Acro. This acro is normally green and pink, the green is starting to come back, its kinda light mint green right now, but it is going to look awesome when it colors up:

SSC-2.jpg

NEW FTS as of 9/8/12. The tank is coming along nicely since the crash and losing all my SPS:

fts9.jpg

I am trying an experiment here with 3 different colored monti caps. I hope for them to all grow intertwined with each other, scrolling around one another. I may have to break and snip pieces here and there along the way to help them grow in the right places. Here is the beginning of my process:

monticaps.jpg

My tank is looking so good right (subjectively, to me :) ) now under the 250w Radium halides, that I wonder if there is not something to a tanks lighting being stable and consistent all day long. My halides come on full blast and stay that way till they cut off. When I had LED's, I ramped up and down the lighting each day, and changed intensity/spectrum throughout the day on a crazy lighting schedule. I wonder if all that shifting during the day was holding back my coral. I think Richards home tank has a Blueline LED pendant on back that only has 100% setting and that's it, and looks good. Makes me wonder. Just a thought.

Finally got my calcium reactor back up and running. The CO2 regulator crapped out a couple weeks ago and I've been without. Got things back in order, running well again. I needed it running again because I have accumulated a lot of stony corals.

thats what im saying! IMHO thats whats up with leds too much messing with it/spectrums. Kind of like the aquarium the more you mess with it the more likely it is to cause stress.

I tend to agree with you Jay about the ramping up of LEDs. I have the AIs on my 120 with the variable schedule. (Plus my ever changing spectrum). My 46 bowfront has had Marineland Reef LEDs from day one and every coral in it is thriving. I think I will go to full lighting at once with my AIs instead of the ramping up. At a minimum, I will reduce the difference between start and finish.

I tend to agree with you Jay about the ramping up of LEDs. I have the AIs on my 120 with the variable schedule. (Plus my ever changing spectrum). My 46 bowfront has had Marineland Reef LEDs from day one and every coral in it is thriving. I think I will go to full lighting at once with my AIs instead of the ramping up. At a minimum, I will reduce the difference between start and finish.

I'm not sure about any of that, I am purely speculating. As the sun get more and less intense throughout the day, so who knows, ha. But I know that my halides come on full blast and then go from full blast to 100% off, and everything looks great. :)

True, but the intensity of the Sun never changes, what changes is our position in relation to the sun. The temperature around us changes but the Sun is emitting the same amount of radiation and heat 24/7.

True, but the intensity of the Sun never changes, what changes is our position in relation to the sun. The temperature around us changes but the Sun is emitting the same amount of radiation and heat 24/7.

Ahhh, I've learned something new. :)

Actually, maybe I misworded it. I know the sun itself is not changing, I'm talking about intensity received during different times of the day. I mean, I know the Sun is not ramping itself up and down all day....ha. :)

I haven't messed with LED's but i went from t5's to metal halide on a 29g and it showed vast improvements almost instantly..i'm definitely a believer!

Someone down here showed me this thread and I'm def glad he did. You've done an awesome and outstanding job and I've learned some tricks idid t think of. I can't wait to see your new and improved tank come alive like your last one. Glad you didn't throw in the white towel and call it quits.

Someone down here showed me this thread and I'm def glad he did. You've done an awesome and outstanding job and I've learned some tricks idid t think of. I can't wait to see your new and improved tank come alive like your last one. Glad you didn't throw in the white towel and call it quits.

Thanks! This go round has been going well, the coral look great and are growing. I'll try to get some new pictures posted this weekend, I haven't taken any in awhile.

Finally got around to taking a few pictures today. Everything is doing pretty well, except for a few small spot of hair algae and some bubble algae that is popping up. Mostly due to me getting behind on my water changes. But all is good at the moment.

pinklem_zpscb806ec0.jpg

bluestag1_zps4607d489.jpg

green1_zps5b21b9ca.jpg

green3_zps4ba6dd3e.jpg

green2_zps7d56547d.jpg

reddragon-2_zpsce52d4d0.jpg

blue1_zpsb4f860d5.jpg

greenstag-2_zps0c41da2b.jpg

sps2_zpse0a0d51b.jpg

Back