OneReef's 120g DreamReef

Just a note. Since I changed my AI Sols to a 60 min ramp up time, I have been getting some amazing growth. No more 3 hour ramp up and down. I have corals that were green turning blue and pink. It is quite exciting. The only other possibility is the biopellet/GFO combination. Either way, my colors have never been better.

Just a note. Since I changed my AI Sols to a 60 min ramp up time, I have been getting some amazing growth. No more 3 hour ramp up and down. I have corals that were green turning blue and pink. It is quite exciting. The only other possibility is the biopellet/GFO combination. Either way, my colors have never been better.

Nice, glad things are looking better. That's one thing that bothered me about LEDs. They are almost TOO adjustable. And for a tinkering hands on person like myself that loves gadgets, it is hard to figure out spectrum, intensity, and duration. With my halides, I only have to tinker with duration. Keep us updated on your progress.

Goodbye VHOs:

I just removed the VHO actinics that I was using with my metal halides. I replaced them with two CurrentUSA Trulumen Pro LED strips in blue. Someone gave me a really good deal on them, so I decided to get rid of all the birdsnest of VHO wires and ballast, and go LED actinic. Mainly I use them for lighting before and after my halides are on, since the Radiums do not need any actinic supplementation. These blue LEDs really make the colors pop like crazy when they are the only lighting on. They could make dog crap glow and look good...lol

Ill try to post some new pictures soon. Here's the birdsnest I removed from my stand.

0F8AAD09-DEC2-48ED-AFB9-5DA39ED81B33-21668-000004B383DC14CD_zps3981338e.jpg

Acan beats SPS:

Aww man, one of my nice SPS colonies, a nice big teal blue staghorn SPS colony (about 6"x6") came unattached from its perch last night and fell and landed square on top of the biggest acan in my tank. The acan is an orange crush echinata about the size of a coffee saucer plate. Looks like overnight it killed about half the staghorn colony while it laid on top of the acan. Acan looks fine, but the staghorn got its teeth scattered in a knockout punch. Bah!

A couple of new additions:

A week ago I added a Pyramid Zoster Butterfly. He is doing well.

butterfly_zpsf1e80722.jpg

And today I added a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone, onto a magnet rock that is attached to my overflow. It is high up so it will allow the anemone to get sufficient light and flow.

rosebta_zpsb8f8d677.jpg

I had to add the sponge covers onto my MP-40 powerheads, so that the anemone will not get sucked up into them and shredded. Hopefully I can remove them soon, after the anemone gets settled in.

My Rose BTA's new location:

I had originally put my rose BTA on a magnet rock on my overflow, but the first night when the lights went out, he decided to move. I found him the next morning on the glass at the top corner of the tank. I found a new location for him on my rocks, in a little cup shaped area formed by some branch rock. He has stayed there a couple of days and seems happy to be cradled there. I am hoping he stays put, as it is a nice location in my tank for him.

bta1_zps45f4c54e.jpg

bta2_zpse1da68fc.jpg

about how many lbs. of rock is in there?

Honestly, I am not sure. It's on the minimal side though. It's a 120g tank and if I had to guess, maybe 90 or less pounds. With today's filtration methods, I don't feel that the 1-2 lbs of rock per gallon from years ago is accurate anymore.

Back