Open for Comment: Proposed Coral Import Ban

inktomi

Aviator
I wanted to bring this up here for any of us who are in the United States, as this is something which will impact us all if it passes into law as written.

The NOAA and the National Marine Fisheries Service has proposed adding twenty corals to a list of threatened species, which would also apply something called "no take" rules. This means, if the proposed rules pass, we will be unable to import, trade, or sell any of the listed species across state lines (also banned would be any visually similar species).

This is being done in the name of conservation, something which we all agree is worthwhile and to be supported - however the aquarium trade is hardly the largest factor impacting coral reefs and this does nothing to impact anything else affecting reefs. I would encourage you to take a look at some of the factors that are leading to the worldwide decline of coral reefs on wikipedia. Furthermore, we don't get an exemption for maricultured specimens or frags that we grow in our own tanks even though they obviously don't hurt wild coral at all. That 20,000 Leagues Lokani frag you just cut is about to be illegal.

Here are the species which are being protected under this new proposed rule - though keep in mind anything that looks like one of these can also be denied entry into the country.
  • Acropora globiceps
  • Acropora jacquelineae
  • Acropora lokani
  • Acropora pharaonis
  • Acropora retusa
  • Acropora rudis
  • Acropora speciosa
  • Acropora tenella
  • Anacropora spinosa
  • Isopora crateriformis
  • Euphyllia paradivisa -- Frogspawn
  • Montipora australiensis -- A commonly available encrusting montipora
  • Porites napopora
  • Pavona diffluens
  • Seriatopora aculeata
  • Dendrogyra cylindrus
  • Orbicella annularis
  • Orbicella faveolata
  • Orbicella franksi
  • Mycetophyllia ferox

There is a period in which the public is able to comment on this proposed rule change, and we are in that period now. I would encourage each of you, if you live in the United States, to comment if you believe it's worth your time (which I do hope it is!).

You can read the entire proposed rule here, and you can add a comment on the proposed rule here.

Well that's about asinine. No stipulation for tank breeders? Hell, I know people who breed the coral in New Mexico and seed it off the coast of California...guess they can't help re-seed the reefs huh?

Plain stupid.

I commented (and posting here to keep this thread visible to others).

Like inktomi said, it's well intentioned...but it really does not get at the heart of the issues for our reefs.

I would even accept regulation like this if it also went with enviromental changes (shipping, polution, etc)...sometimes you have to give some, to get what is needed to happen.

With that said, the way this is presented right now, this just by itself does not really get to the most major parts of what really threatens our reefs. So it seems like we end up getting all the bad, yet the reefs get none of the regulation and protection that they really need. I am sure they would target us because we are small, and will likely have less push back than the serious enviromental regulation that would be needed to protect our reefs.

I also would be willing to accept a provision for captive grown corals, and just prevent the harvest of new corals....but I recognized this can be almost impossible to regulate.

I'd also love to see a mariculture provision - but who's to say coral X is actually maricultured. I'm not sure how you'd enforce it =\

Depending on where you live you can get a Aqua culture license just like agriculture for an exemption.

^^^ I know here where I live (michigan) you can't, but south of me in Ohio you can. Let me see if I can dig up the old article.

Depending on where you live you can get a Aqua culture license just like agriculture for an exemption.

But ivory is a great example of how this sort of regulation can be really difficult to maintain as well. It's very eays to get illegal things mixed up in the legal market. Which is why I am sure they are trying to take a stance like this.

I would comment that you would like the rules to be clear about the need for clear licensing for people who work with coral.

This is ludacris. I like how it reads "Primary threats identified include ocean warming, disease, and ocean acidification. Threats of medium to low importance include trophic effects of fishing, sedimentation, nutrient enrichment, sea-level rise, predation, and collection and trade."

If trade is a low threat, then why is this even being proposed? Also, this doesn't seem to be very clear on what happens if you happen to own some of these corals?

I think as written currently the big guys are in just as much trouble as our local fish stores, because all the coral in the country comes through a comparatively small number of importers (who work with an even smaller number of exporters overseas).

I'd be very interested in seeing a licensing process that can be worked through to negate the effects of a "no take" decision. I have not heard of just a process :(

I think as written currently the big guys are in just as much trouble as our local fish stores, because all the coral in the country comes through a comparatively small number of importers (who work with an even smaller number of exporters overseas).

I'd be very interested in seeing a licensing process that can be worked through to negate the effects of a "no take" decision. I have not heard of just a process :(

I agree. I am shocked this topic is just fading away through the forum. Where are all the guys that have been in this hobby for 20+ years? What does this proposal mean to you guys?

Does no one else have a comment about this?

Yea, it seems like maybe I feel like it's a bigger issue than it really is? Should we not be worried?

I love the hobby, and I don't want it to be gutted by regulations unless those regulations are actually helping wild coral =\

Yea, it seems like maybe I feel like it's a bigger issue than it really is? Should we not be worried?

I love the hobby, and I don't want it to be gutted by regulations unless those regulations are actually helping wild coral =\

It seems like it has the potential to be a big issue due to the way the proposal is worded but every one is just quietly overlooking it in hopes that it never effects them but that's how most people react to something..."O that could never happen to me"

But hey, Underground ReefCentral here we come :beer:

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't also outlaw us trading frags. Simply buying some from a frag swap would be a violation of the federal statute.

Back