Open you wallets SUCKERS!

VIVVIV

In Memoriam
ANNOUNCING:

Macro Algae Reactor 3181

DETAILS ARE BELOW. BUT IF YOU LIKE THIS IS THE EXECUTIVE BRIEF:

For a measly $350 you get a plastic container with in and out fittings to which one connects to a water pump and the other dumps back into the sump. You even get the pump. All for just $350.

You could make your own from a pop bottle and power head, but it would not be worth $350 even after you stuffed it with your own chaeto.

For $350 you get to all it a "reactor". You know - like as in "nuclear reactor", and those things cost billions.

For aquariums from 100 to 600 liters (25 - 160 USgal.).
Flow rate: 500 - 1,200 l/h (132 - 318 USgal.)
Energy consumption with pump: approx. 20 W
Measurements of the reactor (L x W x H): 233 x 195 x 422 mm (9.2" x 7.7" x 16.6")
With Comline® Pump 2500 electronic and Turbelle® Controller basic 7090.200.
Functions of the TUNZE® algae reactor MAR 3181:
- Cultivation of algae in seawater and plants in freshwater
- Biological detoxification of ecosystems by algae / plants
- Reduction of nitrate and phosphate content
- Filtration of the aquarium water
- Production of food supplement for fish
- Zooplankton refuge, serving as food for corals and fish
- Enrichment of the water with oxygen

Attachments

• 3181.000#02.jpg
    3181.000#02.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2
This isn't the first macro algae reactor with that type of price point. But hey, if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.

This hobby is full of all kinds of gimmicky stuff, Tunze is not one of those companies. Maybe you should enjoy the hobby more.

If you can DIY, that's always the best way to save $$$ in this hobby. Or buy something used. But anytime you buy new aquarium equipment, expect to pay a premium.

I build a lot of my own reactors. Large diameter cell cast acrylic is not cheap. It wouldn’t cost me $350 to makes something like that, but it wouldn’t be $150 either.

I am for sure a DIYer, so I understand the dislike of how much stuff like this costs because I always think to myself "I can get a used one fore half that price" or "I bet I have most of the supplies laying around to build something like that...or even better".

On the other hand, new equipment is just expensive. I cringe when I see the cost of an acrylic sump, or name brand lights. But that doesn't mean that the company making them is gouging their customers. Quality components are pricey, and acrylic is pricey. If I tried to make a close replica, I'd probably spend a good bit of money on materials, plus lots of time building it. If you consider time as a cost at say $20/hr for skilled labor, than the price starts to make more sense.

This, of course is why I almost always buy used or build myself. I'd personally rather have a 150 gallon tank with DIY stand, canopy, sump, protein skimmer...etc than spend the same amount of money on a brand new 40 gallon set up. I can't argue that the store bought stuff doesn't look better, because it does. I also expect that it likely works better than most of my DIY stuff. It all depends on what your goals are. If you want a "show sump" that looks almost as good as the display, than it's going to cost alot and be alot of work. If you're cool with a sump that looks like it's made from a bunch of yard sale parts, than that can obviously be done much cheaper.

Back