Opinions/Comments on CL and sump design for 55g please

meagan_myers

Premium Member
I will be setting up a 55g (36"x19"x20") to hold me over the next two years or so. My current tank's corner seams are just about gone and won't last until my in-wall tank gets set up in my house I am building. It will have an overflow box with 1" drain and 3/4" emergency drain, a closed loop system and a sump underneath.

For the closed loop, I will have an oceansmotions Super Squirt Compact that will alternate flow out of two outlets at the same time (version 3- Opposed: 1 & 3, 4 & 2, repeated). The outlets will be 3/4" with a "Y" and Loc-line. I will have two 1.5" intakes (or two 1" intakes?) for the closed loop. I need help deciding on a pump. I am leaning towards a PanWorld 200PS that has 1750gph. This would give me around 30X turnover with around 400gph comming out of each nozzle (2 CL outlets with 2 Loc-lines on a "Y" for each) at the same time. I plan on having about ~1" sandbed. Will this be too much flow???
Here is a rough diagram of the back wall of the tank for the closed loop. Does the placement of the outlets look ok?
cldesign.jpg

As for the sump, I already have a Dolphin AmpMaster 3000 with the new seal that has never been used. I plan on using this to run everything. I am going to have the return to the tank only be about ~150gph or so. Everything else will be recirculated through the sump and skimmer repeatedly. The sump will be a 20L and have a section for an AquaC EV180 , macroalgae and return.
Here is a rough layout of the sump design. How does it look?
sumpdesign2.jpg

I haven't set up a closed loop or sump before so any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Back