Opinions on clams under 300watts of MH

crt81

I have 2 150w fixtures that each have 150watt 14K pheonix bulbs.
I want to keep clams.

Which type would be the best choice?

Also, this will go in my 65gallon reef that is not fully set up yet.

I would prefer to have the clam on the sand bed.

Last edited:
You should be fine with all of the tridacnids.

How old is the tank? I would recommend that you wait to add clams until it is at least 6 months old.

Here are some good links for keeping clams, read up.

lighting

clam care

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11678173#post11678173 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skinz78
You should be fine with all of the tridacnids.

How old is the tank? I would recommend that you wait to add clams until it is at least 6 months old.

Here are some good links for keeping clams, read up.

lighting

clam care

Well it still is very young. I just got it started. I just added the LR, and once it's done cycling I can start adding things slowly, but yeah I know I cannot add clams right away!

I had a crocea in the mid rock level in my 65 before I upgraded. I ran 1-250 watt MH and 2 T5 actinics in that tank. Clam did very well and now is in my 90.
I waited almost a yr with my tank before adding the first clam. I now have 3 kinds in 2 tanks with a Crocea, Deresa and Maxima in the mix

I grew clams just fine under 2 x 150W HQI's; however, coloration is much better and growth much more rapid under 250W halides. You should be fine with your current setup given the tank depth and clam placement.

i have a maxima in my 65 with one 250hqi and 2 t5hos it has been in there for 2 years and is doing fine on the sand with a flat rock under it

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11692912#post11692912 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cj hill
i have a maxima in my 65 with one 250hqi and 2 t5hos it has been in there for 2 years and is doing fine on the sand with a flat rock under it

So you have it on the sand bed, is the color nice on the clam?

Do you have any other clams?

crocea under (embarassed) 800 watts 10K ushios for 6h each day, about 10 inches deep. My crocea has grown about 2.5 inches in 1.5 years...loves the wattage, as much as I love the clam.

Back