Opinions on Jecod/Jebao DCT 12000?

jim t

I am setting up a 125 gal reef ready tank with 40 gal sump. I could probably go with the DCT 8000 because I am not using a bunch of extra equipment. I have read mixed results with these pumps

Where will the sump be located ?

I had a 90 gallon with a 40g basement sump (we have basements back in the northeast), I used a Iwaki - 55 RLT becasue of the head height needed.

Never tried the Jebao return pumps but have heard good things

I have one on my 265 and its t-ed off to 3 reactors. I love it so far. Other then the fact I didn't get the guard with it and it likes to eat snails. I have no complaints

Sump is directly under the tank. Stand is 36" tall. So head pressure isn't an issue. I am leaning on purchasing the 12000 and keeping a mag pump as a backup plan.

The 12000 is 3800 gph I believe , more than enough.

The Iwaki I have is only 1080 and that was good for my old set up

I use the 8000 on my 150g. I use it only for the main return and I keep it dialed down to about 1/2 speed. It is dead quiet. I can't even hear it if I have my head in the stand. Long life... I dunno. Mine's fine at 6 months.

CHizer. That is what I have been told by a lot of people. Did you have an issue with the British treads?

Fittings from Lowes fit right on mine. I seem to remember it was an awkward size, but they had it in stock.

I bought 2-12000 in the group buy on here a while back. Both power supplies went out on them. There are a few threads on here with people with the same problem. That group buy was when they first came out. The new ones might be better.

It's 1.5" NPT national pipe thread from the pump output. I put 1.5" threaded unions directly on my 3 DCT12000s.

I think the most problem issues with the dc pumps are the power supplies and the controllers. The pumps themselves are super quiet and I believe very reliable.

I was thinking of getting one of these for my new build (150g). Can you run them externally?

You can, but I wasn't able to get mine to completely seal, so I run it in sump. It is dead silent, but it's definitely not rated for the head pressure it's supposed to be. I had a dual return set up and I had to cut off one side of the return since it's doesn't push enough water. Solid pump for the money, but not quite as good as the gph and head ratings would initially make you think. For the $100 or whatever it was in the group buy (still running strong almost 2 years later) it's a good value.

I'm running two for my returns. 1x 1.5" pipe all the way up split to 4x 3/4" Sea Swirls on true union ball valves. 5 feet of total head height is rated at 2,000 gph each. But I anticipate I'll be around 500-750 gph coming out of each Sea Swirl after friction loss, which should still be plenty enough.

I am wrapping up my own version of the Sea Swirl I hope to have finished early next year. It's about a third of the size and a third of the price compared to the original. :)

You can, but I wasn't able to get mine to completely seal, so I run it in sump. It is dead silent, but it's definitely not rated for the head pressure it's supposed to be. I had a dual return set up and I had to cut off one side of the return since it's doesn't push enough water. Solid pump for the money, but not quite as good as the gph and head ratings would initially make you think. For the $100 or whatever it was in the group buy (still running strong almost 2 years later) it's a good value.

Hmm wonder if the 12000 would be enough flow for my tank. I'm going to be running a bean animal overflow.. I I could always run it with my Mag drive 9.5 I suppose.

The 12000 will be a lot more flow than a Mag 9.5. At 5 ft of head you're at 750 not counting friction loss from fittings.

Also, here's a chart that gives the impact fittings have on flow. For example a 3/4" 90 degree elbow is the equivalent of adding ~2 feet of pipe to the run.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 0
The 12000 will be a lot more flow than a Mag 9.5. At 5 ft of head you're at 750 not counting friction loss from fittings.

Also, here's a chart that gives the impact fittings have on flow. For example a 3/4" 90 degree elbow is the equivalent of adding ~2 feet of pipe to the run.

attachment.php

Sorry :) wasn't very clear
Meant that I could run it in conjunction with the jebao if needed. Sounds like it is strong enough to work on its own. I wanted to use the mag drive as a back up if needed.

Back