Opinions On Large Reef Tank Deminsions

JaySchulz

Hi all,

Alittle background. I've been out of the hobby for about 4 years and I've been in the planning stages of a new tank for about a year. About 4 months ago I pulled the trigger and ordered a tank from a local builder that would of worked out perfectly in my home office. About a week later, my dad gave me a call and let me know that he was going to ask my step mom for a divorce and that they would be selling their home and splitting the proceeds. Being that i own a small real estate brokerage they wanted me to sell their home. My wife and I have always loved their home and after discussing my dads plan with my wife we approached my dad and step mom about buying the house for ourselves. They offered me a great deal as long as I was flexible on the closing date and gave them enough time to part and go their separate ways.

The best part is that our new home is ALOT bigger and I immediately started planning an even bigger tank. I called our tank builder and we put a stop on the tank build. Closing on the new house won't happen till Febraury so I'm still months away from ordering the new tank. Waiting definitely sucks but I've slowly been buying equipment.

So now to the question that started this thread. I decided on a spot for the tank right as you enter through the front door. It will be a peninsula style tank that will purtrude off the hallway wall and will squeeze between or up to two square load bearing pillars. I have only two options on the deminsions because of the pillars.

Option 1- 82"L x 48"W x 27"T

Option 2- 70"L x 72"W x 27"T

Either way I'll have access from 3 of the 4 sides. I really think the the wider option 2 will look better and I'll have the ability to create a very realistic rock scape due to the extreme width. Not saying that 48" isn't wide, but 72" wide has endless possibilties and hopefully I would be able to mimic something similar to Steve Weists tank (hopeful and optimistic thinking). The downside to the extra width is I will not be able to reach middle from any side making maintenance a pain in the a$$ possibly.

I was hoping you guys could give me your advice and opinions on what option you would choose as well as chime in on pro's and con's of each that I may have overlooked.

I would go ahead and stretch it to 72x96x27 (800G) if you are going that far already. There is a guy on here (from the UK I think) with 72x96 dimensions and it is AMAZING! Real reef feel to it. It may be a little taller than 27 though I cant recall at the moment.

Look forward to seeing what happens!

I wish I could go bigger! Unfortunatly the size is restricted to these two options because of a the two pillars that are at the location of where the tank will go.

Who is doing maintenance and how much access will be above? Trying to clean a 72" deep tank is a royal PITA without being able to easily access/hop in. I have a 8x6x30" tank that I am breaking down/selling. I went back to a 300DD and love it. 36" deep is great from that standpoint.

The other question is do you plan to keep any larger animals/sting ray, shark etc? If so then the large footprint opens up alot of options for you. Either way those are nice dimensions just make sure to plan it out.

Who is doing maintenance and how much access will be above? Trying to clean a 72" deep tank is a royal PITA without being able to easily access/hop in. I have a 8x6x30" tank that I am breaking down/selling. I went back to a 300DD and love it. 36" deep is great from that standpoint.

The other question is do you plan to keep any larger animals/sting ray, shark etc? If so then the large footprint opens up alot of options for you. Either way those are nice dimensions just make sure to plan it out.

I will be performing all maintanence. The canopy will go the ceiling with access doors on the 3 viewable sides. It's a 10 foot ceiling so stand will be 46" tall, tank 27" tall, and canopy 46" tall. That said I should have decent access but with the wider deminsions I won't be able to reach the middle unless I use tools such as tongs. I've never had that wide of a tank so I'm not quite sure what I'm up against with those deminsions.

The tank will be a mixed reef and the largest inhabitants will be a few large tangs.

I wish I could go bigger! Unfortunatly the size is restricted to these two options because of a the two pillars that are at the location of where the tank will go.

Ok that makes sense, Hey 70x72 is huge anyway!

Could you use some type of plank system from one side to the other to climb on top and reach down into the middle areas for cleaning etc.? Sounds like the hood would have enough height to make it work and if your lights were on rails so you could move them around/out of the way it would be doable for sure from a height standpoint. I think prickles the one with the 1500g tank does something like that for maintenance.

Here you go.
ROOM%20PIC%20JPEG_zpsoa1ustyo.jpg

So looking at that picture it looks it's either squeeze between the pillars (both are 12" I'm guessing based on your dimensions) either in front of them or between them. So the question really is do you want a 12" ledge/alcove area on the door & opposite side? if so go with the 82x48 dimension, if you want it flush with the pillars on two sides with the ledge/alcove on the "front side" then do the 70x72 direction. I could see a case for both. In the 82x48 case if you look from the side there will still be some tank "behind the corner" (pillar) on the two sides, where as with the 70x72 tank it'll just be a flat pane of glass (the opposite from the front side) so think about where most of your hardcore viewing will be from. Granted the bigger picture is something you have to work your mind around too, and ultimately is something you will need to decide.

As for maintenance on the tank, with a 72" wide tank if you want to do ANYTHING near the middle you need some way to get up on the edge of the tank (maybe even a platform you can lay on) and do it that way. I had a 60 x 72 x 22 tank and that was not fun at all, and me sitting on the acrylic eurobrace made me wonder at what moment would my weight cause that to break. So an argument could be made for the longer by more slender tank.

Also you'll want to think about how the whole system is going to lay out, where's your sump? overflows? pumps? are you going to be able to poke a hole through that wall and have a fish room on the other side? Is everything going to be under? One thing I found out with my tank is that I had to trade off between having aesthetically pleasing (pumps only on the back wall) with good flow (pumps on viewable walls).

Couple more things (sorry for the huge run on post), make sure you can get that tank into that location. I'm not sure if you have a huge set of double doors behind the photo, but are you really going to want to put that tank on it's side (27" direction) to get through the door? Then think can you actually maneuver into the location? If you do go through the front door on the side is there enough room between the first pillar and the door pillar to tip the tank back upright for the 70x72 so you can slide it between? And if you go the 82x48 will you have enough room to physically rotate it so that it can slide between the pillars? Last thing you want is a tank so large that you find out you can not physically put it where it's supposed to go without demolition (which I'm guessing those pillars are more than just decorative so you don't want to remove those).

Last bit of advice, if you have exactly 70" between the pillars do NOT use it all for tank, leave a little gap on all sides so that the walls & pillar can have airflow around them just in case any moisture gets on them you want it to breath not be trapped, you don't need so much room you could get a hand in there to clean, just enough so air can flow, you can cover up any gaps with trim.

Oh and don't spend your money until the check clears ;)... just in case they change their mind and get back together

Oh and is that near by pillar decorative to match with the other one for some sort of symmetry? I see a fan control knob/switch on it, which to me says that that is not a solid post to hold up that beam (otherwise where are the wires running), and would make me wonder if there's a small metal post with drywall to make it look pretty/match, or if it's an empty pillar in which case demolition and make your tank even bigger! :D

May I suggest you abandon this location altogether? This is a passageway. It is not a place to sit and contemplate the beauty of a reef tank. This is a place to pass quickly by on your way to somewhere else, usually with your mind on other things. The tank would be lucky to even get a passing glance.

A more fitting location for a tank would be in a den or sitting room as the prime focal point of attention. The hallway you propose would be a better choice for a TV, considering the trash that passes as programming these days. You could easily breeze by the TV and get your twenty-second sound bite before moving on to more serious things - like the den with the reef tank in it.

Dave.M

May I suggest you abandon this location altogether? This is a passageway. It is not a place to sit and contemplate the beauty of a reef tank. This is a place to pass quickly by on your way to somewhere else, usually with your mind on other things. The tank would be lucky to even get a passing glance.

A more fitting location for a tank would be in a den or sitting room as the prime focal point of attention. The hallway you propose would be a better choice for a TV, considering the trash that passes as programming these days. You could easily breeze by the TV and get your twenty-second sound bite before moving on to more serious things - like the den with the reef tank in it.

Dave.M

Unfortunately with the layout of the house this is the only locational option for a peninsula. And peninsula was my wife's 1 request if I were to spend this kind of money on a tank.

It is hard to tell in this picture off course but the layout of the house is very open and when sitting in the living room or eating in the formal dining the tank will be right in your face. I was actually taking the picture from the living room.

I agree that it is a passage way and that was something I tried to tell my wife because I wasn't particularly fond of blocking the immediate passageway. Directly right of the pillar is more passageway (another 82" roughly). The tank being right there would force you walk around it to get to the living room.

Couple things;

If you are going to do it, I would do both your dimensions and simply wrap the tank around the posts so it's flush to the outside of them from each direction. Otherwise IMO it would look weird. So in essence the tank has two 12" squares cut out of each corner.

However I would also try and put it somewhere else, it looks like it's blocking a hallway or something and it also looks like it will get a ton of sunlight. Also is this the bottom floor? You have to remember a tank of this size is going to weigh like 10,000 lbs.

Couple things;

If you are going to do it, I would do both your dimensions and simply wrap the tank around the posts so it's flush to the outside of them from each direction. Otherwise IMO it would look weird. So in essence the tank has two 12" squares cut out of each corner.

However I would also try and put it somewhere else, it looks like it's blocking a hallway or something and it also looks like it will get a ton of sunlight. Also is this the bottom floor? You have to remember a tank of this size is going to weigh like 10,000 lbs.

I thought about that wrapping the tank as well. Then it's the best of both worlds but the cost of the tank would be astronomical. My carpenter is working on incorporating the pillars into the stand some how so they don't stick out like sore thumbs.

I have really tried to find a different place in the house that a peninsula style would work and this is the only somewhat logical location unless I go upstairs (this picture is of the downstairs) which I won't do.

The picture doesn't show the remainder of the hallway entering the home. But regardless I understand that I would still have to walk around the tank to get to the living room.

So looking at that picture it looks it's either squeeze between the pillars (both are 12" I'm guessing based on your dimensions) either in front of them or between them. So the question really is do you want a 12" ledge/alcove area on the door & opposite side? if so go with the 82x48 dimension, if you want it flush with the pillars on two sides with the ledge/alcove on the "front side" then do the 70x72 direction. I could see a case for both. In the 82x48 case if you look from the side there will still be some tank "behind the corner" (pillar) on the two sides, where as with the 70x72 tank it'll just be a flat pane of glass (the opposite from the front side) so think about where most of your hardcore viewing will be from. Granted the bigger picture is something you have to work your mind around too, and ultimately is something you will need to decide.

As for maintenance on the tank, with a 72" wide tank if you want to do ANYTHING near the middle you need some way to get up on the edge of the tank (maybe even a platform you can lay on) and do it that way. I had a 60 x 72 x 22 tank and that was not fun at all, and me sitting on the acrylic eurobrace made me wonder at what moment would my weight cause that to break. So an argument could be made for the longer by more slender tank.

Also you'll want to think about how the whole system is going to lay out, where's your sump? overflows? pumps? are you going to be able to poke a hole through that wall and have a fish room on the other side? Is everything going to be under? One thing I found out with my tank is that I had to trade off between having aesthetically pleasing (pumps only on the back wall) with good flow (pumps on viewable walls).

Couple more things (sorry for the huge run on post), make sure you can get that tank into that location. I'm not sure if you have a huge set of double doors behind the photo, but are you really going to want to put that tank on it's side (27" direction) to get through the door? Then think can you actually maneuver into the location? If you do go through the front door on the side is there enough room between the first pillar and the door pillar to tip the tank back upright for the 70x72 so you can slide it between? And if you go the 82x48 will you have enough room to physically rotate it so that it can slide between the pillars? Last thing you want is a tank so large that you find out you can not physically put it where it's supposed to go without demolition (which I'm guessing those pillars are more than just decorative so you don't want to remove those).

Last bit of advice, if you have exactly 70" between the pillars do NOT use it all for tank, leave a little gap on all sides so that the walls & pillar can have airflow around them just in case any moisture gets on them you want it to breath not be trapped, you don't need so much room you could get a hand in there to clean, just enough so air can flow, you can cover up any gaps with trim.

Oh and don't spend your money until the check clears ;)... just in case they change their mind and get back together

I really appreciate the feedback.

The most hardcore viewing will be from where the picture was taken (living room). Although hard to tell from the picture, there is a lot of space to walk around the whole tank and in this location the tank would be centered between the living room and formal dining. The only room it won't be highly visible from is the kitchen because the staircase will block the view. Im very confident that its location will be the focal point of the downstairs.

Most equipment will have to go under the tank. Unless my wife gives up a small piece of her HUGE closet which is located right behind the tank. Im not going to hold my breath. Or if I put some equipment in the office which are the french doors to the left in the picture. I figured that was a little unrealistic due to noise but I haven't ruled it out yet.

I have mapped out getting the tank and stand into the house and can either turn the tank on its side or take out the biggest window in the back. From there I would have a clear shot to this location.

My biggest concern is will I be really upset if I go wider because the maintenance will be a pain in the ***. Im just torn because I think the extreme width could open up the most realistic aquascape such as Steve Weist's tank or the Triton tank.

Back