Opinions On Large Reef Tank Deminsions

Yeah that's what I was thinking of with my 60x72" tank... I mentally called it the Baby Weast tank... but I failed on some many points with that tank that go beyond maintenance so I can't completely blame that (I will say a pregnant wife did contribute to the lack of maintenance :D). That said whether it's wide or thin you do need to be dedicated to regular maintenance, so hopefully your work schedule can give you that time. Luckily there are now auto-water change setups that are pretty damn good, and if this is a glass tank a razor blade and an a half hour a week makes it look brand new from the get go.

Hi jay. My tank is similar to your option 1 and I love it , however it can be limiting on aquascaping , trying to get a little height without it reaching the front of the tank . Now similarly my lfs has a tank like your option 2 as his display. Looks stunning , but would I fancy maintaining it ...... No thank you , plus getting the water to turn over and getting some good movement in their, then lighting it you can triple rather than double your costs. Mine gives me just enough hassle.. to still be fun :)

Blue Spot brought up a good point on cost. The larger footprint will require more lighting, pumps and water changes etc. Its all doable but you will definitely want to automate as much of the maintenance as possible on a tank that large. Do you have somewhere to store water for ATO(big container) or ability to plumb a drain outside/faucet? This will help with something like the genesis renew/storm.

Another consideration and why I wound up tearing mine down is I travel frequently and finding someone to maintain the tank regularly is either expensive or un-trustworthy(not intentionally just no knowledge of tanks).

If all of that is sorted the larger footprint will not be regretted. You will have a one of a kind reef when done.

Back